Alan Kane practiced estate planning, probate and trust law for more than 40 years and devoted substantially all of his time to the estate, guardianships, trust and personal planning areas of law. He counseled clients on revocable living trusts, gifts (both charitable and noncharitable), private foundations, irrevocable trusts, prenuptial and property status agreements, estate, gift, generation skipping, and fiduciary income tax matters, problems regarding administration of estates, durable powers of attorney, living wills and guardianships. Alan provided counsel to a number of businesses, partnerships and corporations with regard to succession planning, cross purchases, stock redemptions and split dollar life insurance plans. Alan was active on the Trust Task Force that completely revised Washington Trust Law in 1985.
Alan is listed in the 2007 edition of the American Lawyer as one of The Best Lawyers in America, in the 2006-2007 edition of Strathmore’s Who’s Who, in the National Registry of Who’s Who, has been listed in Seattle Magazine as one of Seattle’s best lawyers and is recognized as a Washington Super Lawyer. In June of 2007 Alan was awarded the Roger C. Stouder Award by the Tax Section of the Washington State Bar Association.
- Fellow and past state chairman, American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (formerly American College of Probate Counsel)
- Member, Washington State Bar Association Real Property, Probate & Trust Section, Former Member of Executive Committee and 2008 Emeritus member of Executive Committee
- Member, Seattle Estate Planning Council and former member of Executive Committee
- Member, Washington State University Foundation Planned Giving Advisory Board
- Member, American Cancer Society Planned Gift Advisory Committee
- Former chair, Western Pension Conference
- Member, American Bar Association Real Property, Probate and Trust Section
- Member and former chair, Washington State Bar Association Tax Section
- Former chair, Seattle-King County Bar Association Real Property, Probate and Trust Section
- Former member, University of Washington Planned Giving Advisory Council
- Former member, Overlake Hospital Foundation Planned Giving Team