Alidad Vakili regularly counsels both domestic and international companies on structuring, financing, development and other strategic transactional and compliance issues, primarily in the technology and renewable energy sectors.
His work involves:
- Financing, M&A, and strategic growth
- He represents start-up and emerging growth companies at every stage of the company lifecycle—from start-up to liquidity. He works on a variety of strategic growth issues including venture capital and private equity financing, private offerings, joint ventures and M&A transactions.
- Project finance for renewable energy development
- He has significant experience advising developers, their affiliates and investors, and financial institutions in connection with commercial and industrial distributed and utility-scale solar projects.
- Cross-Border transactions
- Alidad has worked closely with investors and companies on domestic, in-bound and out-bound transactions, as well as on-shore and off-shore structures.
- Contracts and operations
- His work includes not only advising on major corporate milestones but also significant involvement in day-to-day operations and strategic business issues, such as formation, governance, and commercial agreements.
- Privacy and data protection
- Alidad assists his clients to address their privacy and data protection needs. His work includes analysis of privacy and data protection issues in corporate transactions and contracting as well as operational risk analysis and policy review and development. Most recently, Alidad is helping clients understand and comply with the California Consumer Privacy Act.
Prior to joining the firm, Alidad was an associate in a California-based law firm that focused on corporate finance, securities, real estate and other corporate and commercial transactional matters.
San Diego Lawyer Magazine (Past Associate Editor)
San Diego County Bar Association (Committee on Civility, Integrity and Professionalism; Lawyer Referral and Information Services Committee; Past Co-chair, Business and Corporate Law Section; Website Committee)
Doctors Offering Charitable Services (Past General Corporate Counsel)
California Western School of Law (Past Adjunct Professor of STEPPS Course)
- Presenter, “Understanding Venture Capital Financings,” Direct Energy, May 21, 2019
- Speaker, “Legal Strategies for Cross-Border Start-Ups,” K&L Gates Panel Presentation for Muru-D, San Francisco, CA, February 19, 2019.
- Moderator, “Nordic and Baltic Gaming Meets Silicon Valley Venture Capital,” Silicon Valley Vikings, San Francisco, CA, April 4, 2019.
- Speaker, “Cybersecurity and Privacy in 2018 in Review,” K&L Gates Panel Presentation, Webinar, February 19, 2019.
- Moderator, “Learning From Leaders Series,” K&L Gates and Swedish-American Chamber of Commerce Presentation by Former United States Ambassador to Sweden, Azita Raji, San Francisco, CA October 18, 2018.
- Moderator, “Japanese Pitch Night: Summer 2018”, Silicon Valley Forum, San Francisco, CA, July 26, 2018.
- Speaker, Doing Business in the United States. BelCham: Summer Catalyst 2018, San Francisco, CA 2018.
- Speaker, “Workshop on GDPR Compliance”, Workshop with Julia Jacobson for Berkeley SkyDeck, Berkeley, CA April 17, 2018.
- Speaker, “Venture Financing, Hult International Business School, San Francisco, CA April 17, 2018.
- Speaker, “EU’s General Data Protection Regulation Goes Into Effect May 2018: Are you Prepared?” Panel Presentation, San Francisco, CA, March 20, 2018.
- Moderator, “Managing Board Expectations,” K&L Gates and Triad Group Panel Presentation, San Francisco, CA November 9, 2017.
- Speaker, War Stories: Tales from the Trenches. SF Startup: Idea to IPO, San Francisco, CA, September 7, 2017.
- Judge, Silicon Valley Forum's Startup Pitch Night: Focus on HealthTech 2017, San Francisco, July 19, 2017.
- Speaker, “Le Marriage: Eight Issues When Aligning Corporates and Startups (with an International Twist),” Mind the Bridge - Insurtech / Automotive Global Matching: Pitch DemoDay, San Francisco, CA July 6, 2017.
- Speaker, “Privacy and Data Protection,” EIT Digital Event – Europe’s Vision on Digital Transformation, San Francisco, CA, January 10, 2017.
- Speaker, “Annual Securities Law Update - 1 Year After the Dodd-Frank Act: Where We’ve Gone and What’s in Store for the Future”, San Diego County Bar Association, San Diego, CA September 27, 2011.
- The Four Rules of Pre-Transactional Planning for a Successful Sale. PitchBook Newsletter, April 5, 2013.
- Taking “STEPPS” Towards Lawyering, San Diego Lawyer Magazine, September 2012.
- Winds of Change, February 9, 2011, Climate Change Report, K&L Gates LLP.
- Doing Business in the Middle East: A Guide for U.S. Companies, California Western International Law Journal, 2004.