Our Beijing office opened in 2004 to support our clients’ activities in The People’s Republic of China (PRC). Our presence in Beijing enables us to better assist Chinese and international clients on a broad array of complex cross-border transactions and contentious matters, and provide strategic counsel for clients regularly interfacing with governmental bodies in Beijing.
Our lawyers in Beijing are well versed in advising on domestic and international legal issues, and are fluent in English and Mandarin. Our deep understanding of Chinese markets and culture, combined with our fully integrated global network, enables our lawyers in Beijing to provide extensive coverage and a coordinated approach while:
- advising multinational clients on their PRC-related issues, including mergers and acquisitions and restructuring, licenses and permits, foreign exchange controls, state-owned enterprise issues, intellectual property protection, labor and workplace relations, international trade and customs, competition, and contract manufacturing and sourcing related matters;
- advising Chinese clients on their outbound investments and go-global initiatives, including mergers and acquisitions and restructurings, equity or debt offerings, global compliance matters (such as data privacy, corporate governance, labor and workplace relations, anti-money laundering, anti-bribery and anti-corruption law issues, such as compliance with the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, and U.S. export controls), intellectual property portfolio management, public policy and lobbying, foreign incentive laws, and investment management and licensing, as well as with commercial and intellectual property-related disputes (including section 337 proceedings before the U.S. International Trade Commission); and
- assisting international nongovernmental organizations on their PRC-based philanthropic endeavors.
We are particularly adept at assisting clients operating in highly regulated industries in the PRC, with deep insights in the automobile, consumer goods, financial services, health care, industrial and manufacturing, logistics, mining and infrastructure, oil and gas, pharmaceuticals, real estate, and telecommunications sectors.
- Antitrust, competition, and trade regulation
- Corporate/Mergers and acquisitions
- Energy, infrastructure, and resources
- Financial services
- Intellectual property (intellectual property portfolio management, intellectual property disputes, including section 337 proceedings before the U.S. International Trade Commission)
- Labor, employment, and workplace safety
- Litigation and dispute resolution (commercial and intellectual property litigation, mediation, and international arbitration)
- Policy and regulatory (anti-corruption and anti-bribery law compliance, including U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, and anti-money laundering law compliance)
- Privacy, data protection, and information management
- Real estate
- Telecom, media, and technology
- The 2020 Asia-Pacific Chambers guide recognizes the firm among leaders in China in the areas of Corporate/M&A, Capital Markets: Derivatives & Structured Products, TMT: Information Technology, Aviation: Finance, and International Trade/WTO: Consultants.
- The 2020 Asia-Pacific Legal 500 guide has ranked the firm among leaders in China in the areas of Corporate/M&A, Intellectual Property, Real Estate, and Structured Finance and Securitization.
- In 2020, three lawyers from the Beijing office have been named among the 2020 Best Lawyers in China.