Brian Kilmer is a partner in the firm’s Houston office. His practice focuses on representing debtors, unsecured creditors' committees, and secured creditors in complex Chapter 11 cases in a wide array of industries in jurisdictions such as Texas, Delaware, New York, Michigan, Florida, and Louisiana.
Brian also regularly represents secured creditors and special servicers in single asset cases, acquirers of distressed assets, and debtors and creditors in out-of-court workouts and has extensive experience with general business litigation matters.
Brian is also a certified mediator in Texas.
Prior to joining K&L Gates, Brian was a shareholder in the financial restructuring group at a couple of well-known Texas law firms and also spent many years as a named partner at a small boutique bankruptcy firm in Texas.
Before beginning his law practice, Brian was a judicial law clerk to the Honorable Marcel Livaudais, Jr. (Federal District Court Judge for the Eastern District of Louisiana) and a judicial extern to the Honorable Louis Moore Jr.(U.S. Magistrate for the Eastern District of Louisiana).
- Houstonia Top Lawyer (2019-2023)
- AV Preeminent Rating (Judicial Edition) (2018-2021)
- Recognized by Chambers USA for Bankruptcy/Restructuring (2012-2014).
- Named to the Texas Super Lawyers list (2012-2021) (Bankruptcy)
- Texas Bar College
- Tulane University--Volunteer of the Year (2008)
- National Order of Barristers
- Mediating Bankruptcy and Related Adversary Proceedings -- Multiple Moving Parts for the Unwary Mediator, May 2019 (Co-Presenter)
- Bankruptcy Issues in the Oil Patch, Houston Bar Association, May 2017 (Author & Presenter)
- Top Ten Tips for When you are a Creditor in a Business Bankruptcy Case, IEEE Houston Consultants Network, January 2017 (Author & Presenter)
- From the Pitch to the Hit -- Hot Topics in Pitching and Representing Creditors' Committees, May 2011 (Co-Author & Co-Presenter)
- The Bankruptcy Underbelly -- Little Known Facts/Tricks No One Tells Creditors About Business Bankruptcy Cases, National Association of Credit Managers, June 2009 (Author & Co-Presenter)
- Bankruptcy Impact on Joint Operations and the Joint Operating Agreement, North American Petroleum Accounting Conference, May 2009 (Author & Co-Presenter)
- Top Ten Tips--Protecting/Advising Your Creditor Clients in a Business Bankruptcy Case, Houston Bar Association, April 2009 (Author & Presenter)
- Lender Liability, Equitable Subordination & Re-characterization: How Junior Creditors Can Leapfrog a First Lien Position in Bankruptcy, Powell Goldstein Breakfast Briefing, February 2008 (Author & Presenter)
- Top Ten Tips: Protecting Yourself after a Customer Files Bankruptcy, Powell Goldstein In-house Counsel Series, January 2008 (Author & Presenter)
- Top Ten Tips: Protecting Yourself After a Customer/Supplier Files for Bankruptcy, Author, Akin Gump In-House Counsel Series, April 2007 (Author & Presenter)
- Overview of New Bankruptcy Laws, Restructuring Strategies and Current Trends, Mortgage Bankers Association of America Portfolio Servicing Advisory Group, September 2005 (Author & Presenter)
- Continuing Collection Efforts after Bankruptcy is Filed, University of Houston, Collecting Debts and Judgments Seminar, May 2000 (Co-Author)