Buck Endemann co-leads the firm’s power and renewables practice group and focuses on developing, buying, and selling renewable energy projects throughout the Western United States, with an emphasis on California. He provides comprehensive counseling on energy, energy storage, hydrogen, RNG and remediation projects and regularly advises clients on air, water, species, waste and land use issues, and represents clients in related litigation and administrative proceedings. Buck has a particular expertise before the California Public Utilities Commission and counsels clients on California Independent System Operator (CAISO) issues. He also is involved in the firm's bioenergy initiative and helps clients navigate the federal Renewable Fuel Standard and California's Low Carbon Fuel Standard.
Buck speaks and writes regularly on a number of renewable energy and cleantech issues, and is the editor of the firm's Energy Storage Handbook. He also authors the K&L Gates Energizer, a biweekly newsletter summarizing developments in distributed energy resources, electric vehicles, and energy blockchain technology. He is a current board member of the Center for Sustainable Energy and holds a certificate in Sustainable Capitalism and ESG from Berkeley Law.
Prior to joining the firm, Buck worked with an environmental and energy practice in the San Francisco office of an international law firm. He also worked in in the environment, land and resources department in the San Diego office of an international law firm. From 2007-2008, Buck was a law clerk for the Honorable Thomas J. Whelan, U.S. District Court Judge for the Southern District of California.
- Award of Merit, Bar Association of San Francisco (November 2016)
- Super Lawyers, Environmental and Energy (2014-2016, 2018)
- Rising Star Recent Alumni Award, University of San Diego School of Law (November 2014)
- Board of Directors, Center for Sustainable Energy
- Past Director, Alumni Board, University of San Diego School of Law
- Past Secretary, Young Professionals in Energy, San Francisco Bay-Area Chapter
- Past President and Board Chair, KIPP Adelante Preparatory Academy (2009-2013)
- Moderator, Energy Bar Association: Hydrogen In The West - How Will Hydrogen Play A Part In The Western Energy Transition?
- Presenter, ESG: Legal Perspectives on Responsible Farmland Ownership and Operations, American Agricultural Law Association 2020 Annual Agricultural Law Symposium, November 2020 (Webinar)
- Presenter, Energy Storage Project Development: An Overview of Key Policy, Finance, and Development Issues with K&L Gates, June 19, 2019
- Let’s Make a Deal: Wind + Storage, AWEA Windpower Conference, May 20-23, 2019
- Understanding Venture Capital Financings, Direct Energy, May 21, 2019
- “California’s Energy Storage Policies Enable a Greener, Cleaner Future,” California Lawyer, 2018
- “Making Carbon Dioxide Sequestration Feasible: Toward Federal Regulation of CO2 Sequestration Pipelines” 38 Energy Policy 735 (2010)
- “Comment, Keelhauling Pirates: How Ex-Parte Seizure of Non- Interfering LPFM Does Not Further the FCC's ‘Public Interest’” 43 San Diego L. Rev. 661 (2006)
- “Climate Regulation 2013 - United States” Getting the Deal Through (2011, 2012, 2013)