Kent Carlson’s practice is focused on corporate law. After more than three decades of focus on merger, acquisitions, joint venture, and financing work. Kent current practice focuses on matters of corporate governance and complex strategic relationships. He serves as special counsel to boards and independent board committees, as counsel for private foundations, and as counsel for private profit and non-profit entities in public-private projects.
Kent is active in the legal community in Washington and nationally. He is a member of the Committee on Corporate Laws of the American Bar Association’s Business Law section. He has served as the chairman of the Business Law Section of the Washington State Bar Association and long–term member of the Section Executive Committee. He is a founder, past chair, and long–term member of the Washington State Bar Association Corporate Act Revision Committee. He is also a life fellow of the American Bar Foundation.
Kent is also active in the broader community. He is chairman of the board of directors of the Washington Research Foundation, member of the University of Washington Foundation Board, past president of the University of Washington Law School Foundation, past chairman and member of the board of trustees of Cornish College of the Arts, past chairman and current trustee of the Pilchuck Glass School and was a two term member and vice chair of the Washington State Arts Commission.
Before joining the firm, Kent was an assistant professor of law at George Washington University Law School. He has regularly presented at continuing legal education programs for the Washington State Bar Association, the University of Washington Law School, the Seminar Group, Seattle University Law School and Donnelly “Financial SEC Hot Topics”.
- Named the Best Lawyers’ 2014 Seattle Corporate Law “Lawyer of the Year”
- Named the Best Lawyers' 2011 Seattle Merger and Acquisition “Lawyer of the Year”
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America© from 2006-2022
- Listed in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business - Tier one and currently Senior Statesman Corporate Seattle
- Named in International Who’s Who of Corporate Governance Lawyers
- Named “SuperLawyer – Top 100,” Washington Law & Politics
- Selected to the Washington Super Lawyers List (2003–2019)
- Named in “Top 100 Lawyers in Washington” Seattle Met Magazine
- Recipient University of Washington Law School, Service Recognition Award Recipient 2015
- Recipient University of Washington Law School, Law Review “Outstanding Graduate of the Year” in 2011
- Listed in Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Rating Judicial Edition