Christina Elles is an associate in the environment, land and natural resources group in the Seattle office. Christina’s practice focuses on regulatory compliance, litigation, and transactions involving environmental, land use, natural resource, and energy issues. Her practice also involves advising and representing clients on issues related to large infrastructure projects, including permitting and licensing, construction, operation, and purchase or sale of energy facilities, including wind, solar, and hydropower facilities.
Christina also has experience advising public and private clients on matters relating to wireless communication facilities, greenhouse gas regulations, the Washington State Environmental Policy Act (SEPA), the Shoreline Management Act (SMA), the Washington Model Toxics Control Act (MTCA), the Clean Water Act (CWA), the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), the Clean Air Act (CAA), the Endangered Species Act (ESA), the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, the Lacey Act, and the Comprehensive, Environmental Response, Compensation and Liability Act (CERCLA).
Christina maintains an active pro bono practice, including as a member of a team representing an Indian tribe seeking federal recognition and as a member of a team representing a class of inmates challenging a county jail’s failure to provide medication-assisted treatment as a violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Prior to joining K&L Gates, Christina was a Rule 9 licensed legal intern for University of Washington Student Legal Services and was also a summer legal extern at the California Governor’s Office of Planning and Research. She was a K&L Gates summer associate in 2015. Prior to law school, Christina worked for the Union of Concerned Scientists on climate change policy in Washington, D.C.
- “Ports And Vessel Owners, Prep For New Calif. Emissions Regs,” Law360, 31 August 2022
- “California Offshore Wind Ramping Up,” Pratt’s Energy Law Report, May 2022
- “Calif.'s Renewable Natural Gas Standard: Tips For Suppliers,” Law360, 13 April 2022
- “Calif.'s Renewable Natural Gas Standard: How It Works,” Law360, 12 April 2022
- Co-author, “The Vested Rights Doctrine: How a Shield Against Injustice Became a Sword for Opportunistic Developers,” Ohio State Law Journal, vol. 78, no. 2 (2017), 443-470.