Dan Stephenson is a trial lawyer with more than three dozen years’ experience in courtrooms across the country. He specializes in complex lawsuits involving science and technology, such as intellectual property, mass tort, class action, and cybersecurity litigation. He also handles complex business disputes such as securities, antitrust, business tort, and mergers and acquisition litigation. His most recent experience includes the defense of companies in the computer, pharmaceutical, aviation, and consumer product industries.
Dan is on the steering committees of the K&L Gates Trial Academy and the firm’s Anti-Trafficking Initiative. He is the pro bono coordinator for the Raleigh office. His experience in the field of human trafficking is substantial, having represented individual victims, aid organizations, and advocacy groups.
He is a world champion masters swimmer and a published novelist.
Prior to joining K&L Gates, Dan directed the litigation department and the national trial team of a leading national law firm.
- Named a Litigation Star by Benchmark Litigation, 2014-2015
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America for Commercial Litigation and Litigation - Intellectual Property, 2013-2020
- Named a 2013 Top Rated Lawyer in Intellectual Property by American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell™
- Named a Michigan and Southern California Super Lawyer by Law & Politics
- Named 2009 "Client Service All-Star" by BTI Consulting Group, Inc.
- Recipient of an AV® Preeminent™ Rating by Martindale-Hubbell
- 2017 Masters Swimming World Champion in four events
- Author of The Underwater Window (Untreed Reads Publishing 2012), a novel set in the world of Olympic-level swimming
- American Bar Association
- Litigation Counsel of America, Senior Fellow
- “Staying Out of Court: Contract Clauses To Help Avoid (Or Win) Lawsuits,” at ACC-SoCal, Los Angeles, January 2020
- “Preventing Lawyer Depression, Burnout, and Substance Abuse,” Charlotte, NC, October 2019
- “Loose Lips Sink Ships: How To Lose The Attorney-Client Privilege,” presented twice, including at Under the Wire (Raleigh, 2018)
- “The California Consumer Privacy Act Of 2018” (Los Angeles and Raleigh, 2018-19)
- “New California Rules Of Professional Conduct” (Los Angeles, October 2018, January 2020)
- “The Top 10 Ethical Issues to Watch for in the Course of a Lawsuit,” presented eight times, including at ACC-SoCal (Los Angeles, 2017) and Under the Wire (Raleigh, 2017)
- “Global Supply Chain Risk: Corporate Exposure for Human Trafficking, Forced Labor and Human Rights Abuses,” Webinar (co-presenter), 2017
- “Consumer Litigation: The Year in Review and the Years to Come,” Webinar (co-presenter), 2017
- “Cross-Examining the Impeccable Expert,” presented at Network of Trial Law Firms conference in Phoenix, 2014
- “The International Consequences of U.S. Litigation,” paper and presentation at World Jurist Association conference in Haifa, Israel, 2013
- “Class Action Settlements,” panelist at ABA Section of Litigation annual meeting, 2013
- “Human Trafficking” ─ numerous presentations to legal and non-legal audiences
- “Fool For A Witness: The Testifying Lawyer,” American Bar Association Litigation Journal, Spring 2020.
- “Queen’s Gambit: Preparing Your Expert for the Chess Match of Cross-Examination,” Chapter 9, From the Trenches II: Mastering The Art Of Preparing Witnesses, American Bar Association, December 2017