David Hattery’s practice focuses on representing clients involved in the construction industry, including major commercial construction projects, thermal power plants, and renewable energy facilities. David has experience in all aspects of the infrastructure development and construction process from drafting and negotiating a wide range of development, design, procurement, and construction agreements to handling the most complex disputes that may arise. He is well-acquainted with the range of commercial and legal issues that can arise on complicated projects and the range of options available for creative and productive solutions. David has been involved in major projects throughout the Pacific Northwest, across the United States, and around the world, including many leading renewable energy projects. David is a former design engineer and has served as in-house counsel to an international power plant EPC contractor.
David’s legal career has included success as a construction disputes litigator, counsel to a major EPC contractor in the gas-fired energy industry, founding partner in his own specialty law firm and as a big law firm partner. He has worked on complex and innovative energy and infrastructure projects across the U.S. and around the world. David brings a team oriented approach to legal work with his clients, seeking creative ways to leverage client, firm and external resources into the efficient and effective delivery of legal services.
- Listed, The Best Lawyers in America, Energy Law, 2018-2021
- Presenter, “Moving Beyond Traditional Generation,” Law Seminars International’s “Buying and Selling Electric Power in the West,” Seattle, Washington, January 22, 2018
- Panelist, “Ensuring Subcontractor Buy-In When Preparing and Entering Contracts,” 3rd Annual Global EPC Contract & Risk Management Conference, London, United Kingdom, October 12-13, 2017
- Moderator, “Expanding the U.S. Waste to Energy Market: What Is It Going To Take?” Waste to Bio: Energy, Fuels, Gas & Chemicals Summit, Chicago, Illinois, July 8-10, 2014
- Panelist, “The Existing Financial Landscape and Securing Funding in a Post-PTC Environment,” 6th Annual Wind Operations and Maintenance Summit, Dallas, Texas, 2014
- Panelist, "The New Focus: Utility Scale Solar Project Construction," Utility Scale Solar Summit, San Diego, California, Oct. 12, 2012
- "Negotiating the Terms and Navigating the Risk of a Procurement Contract and Other Financial Documents," Developing Grid Storage Projects, Dallas, Texas, 2011
- "Renewable Energy: EPC Agreements in Solar Energy Projects," Webinar, 2011
- "Solar EPC and Long-Term Component Supply," EUCI Law of Renewable Energy Series Webinar, 2011
- "Major Equipment Purchase and Construction Contracts," Renewable Energy Law, guest lecturer, University of Oregon Law School, Eugene, Oregon, 2010
- "Offshore Wind Turbine Technology," Renewable Energy World Conference & Expo, Austin, Texas, 2010