Derek Steingarten is an investment management group partner based in the firm’s New York office who represents a client base of U.S. and non-U.S. asset managers and funds, including hedge funds, ETFs, mutual funds and their boards of directors, investment consultants and others active in the investment fund industry.
Derek was a partner in the financial institutions group of a prominent national law firm based in Boston, where he worked for 15 years prior to joining K&L Gates in 2015. As a university and law student, Derek worked for the Government of Canada, within both the Department of Foreign Affairs and the Department of Justice.
Derek has been consistently ranked among leading investment lawyers by prominent independent, client-driven legal directories such as Chambers USA and The Legal 500. In particular, he has been recognized in each Chambers USA, Leading Lawyers For Business cited his “timely, high-quality advice” and his “keen focus on the business considerations that are implicated by his advice.”
Derek speaks regularly at industry events focused on investment adviser and fund regulatory and compliance issues, including as a panelist at the following:
- K&L Gates IM Conference: “Regulatory & Industry Initiatives and Trends,” “Cryptocurrencies & ICOs in Investment Management,” and “ETF & Registered Fund Developments” (NYC, October 2018)
- K&L Gates ETF Think Tank: “ETFs are Global: Cross-Border Considerations” (NYC, September 2018 and Boston, October 2018)
- K&L Gates IM Conference: “Big Data and Quantamental Investing/Registered Funds Issues/Cryptocurrency” (NYC, October 2017)
- Alternative Investment Management Association (AIMA): “How Hedge Funds can Maximize Big Data by Minimizing Legal Risk” (NYC, July 2017)
- “Brexit Q&A” (webinar, January 2017)
- K&L Gates “IM Conference – Registered Funds” (Chicago, January 2017)
- Financial Research Associates “Sub-Advised Funds Forum” (NYC, September 2016)
- NRS “Investment Adviser Compliance Symposium” (Chicago, July 2016)
- K&L Gates “New Manager Forum” (NYC, April 2016)
- Compliance Reporter “Compliance Breakfast Briefing” (NYC, November 2015)
- “Cryptocurrency Exchange Traded Products: If, When, and How,” The Investment Lawyer, December 2018