Derek Steingarten represents fund sponsors and other institutional asset managers. Derek is experienced in analyzing complex issues and managing multi-faceted legal and business challenges related to fund formation, governance, and regulation.
Derek’s deep experience with funds and asset managers of varied size and scope allows him to advise on transactional and regulatory issues in a way that is tailored to the life cycle of his clients’ businesses and product offerings. He has day-to-day legal experience with the capital raising, marketing, and compliance needs of private equity, hedge, and other private funds, funds-of-funds, sub-advised funds, bank collective funds, and institutional separate accounts, and managed account platforms. His approach as an advocate for his clients always targets workable solutions that reflect changes in law and industry norms without getting bogged down in ineffective regulatory approaches or distractions.
He has over two decades of board-level expertise in managing governance and 1940 Act regulatory oversight for registered funds and their service providers, including oversight of investigations and regulatory enforcement and examination responses.
In addition, Derek’s work for clients involves a significant transactional component. This includes leading negotiations and conducting due diligence for his clients when they acquire other firms, enter new business lines or onboard talent through M&A activity, lift-outs, and other strategic combinations and restructurings.
Derek has been recognized by various client-driven legal directories such as Chambers USA and The Legal 500 as a leading legal practitioner in the investment management/funds industry.
Derek was a partner in the financial institutions group of a prominent national law firm based in Boston, where he worked for 15 years prior to joining K&L Gates in 2016. As a university and law student, Derek worked for the Government of Canada, within both the Department of Foreign Affairs and the Department of Justice.
Derek has been ranked among leading investment lawyers by prominent independent, client-driven legal directories such as Chambers USA and The Legal 500. In particular, Chambers USA, Leading Lawyers For Business cited his “timely, high-quality advice” and his “keen focus on the business considerations that are implicated by his advice.”
Derek speaks regularly as a panelist at industry events focused on investment adviser and fund regulatory and compliance issues. A sampling of topics is included below:
- Independent Directors Council (IDC): Proxy Voting, Fund Board Oversight and Recent Developments (February 2022)
- K&L Gates ETF Think Tank: Moderator “Crash Course in Launching an ETF” (NYC, September 2019)
- K&L Gates IM Conference: “Regulatory & Industry Initiatives and Trends,” “Cryptocurrencies & ICOs in Investment Management,” and “ETF & Registered Fund Developments” (NYC, October 2018)
- K&L Gates ETF Think Tank: “ETFs are Global: Cross-Border Considerations” (NYC, September 2018 and Boston, October 2018)
- K&L Gates IM Conference: “Big Data and Quantamental Investing/Registered Funds Issues/Cryptocurrency” (NYC, October 2017)
- Alternative Investment Management Association (AIMA): “How Hedge Funds can Maximize Big Data by Minimizing Legal Risk” (NYC, July 2017)
- “Brexit Q&A” (webinar, January 2017)
- K&L Gates “IM Conference – Registered Funds” (Chicago, January 2017)
- Financial Research Associates “Sub-Advised Funds Forum” (NYC, September 2016)
- NRS “Investment Adviser Compliance Symposium” (Chicago, July 2016)
- K&L Gates “New Manager Forum” (NYC, April 2016)
- Compliance Reporter “Compliance Breakfast Briefing” (NYC, November 2015)
- “Cryptocurrency Exchange Traded Products: If, When, and How,” The Investment Lawyer, December 2018