Desirée F. Moore is a litigation partner and founding member and co-lead of the firm’s Digital Crisis Planning & Response (DCPR) client solution. She counsels corporations, educational institutions, non-profit organizations, national governing bodies, sports leagues, and high-profile individuals in proactively planning for and effectively managing crises of varying magnitudes, including: data breach; online defamation, harassment, and impersonation; university and other education scandals; sports matters; celebrity disgrace events; key person transitions and investigations; leaked confidential and proprietary information; and more. Her work balances the considerations of a public-facing crisis with smart and prudent legal action. Desirée has been quoted in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and more on behalf of clients who are navigating high-pressure situations.
Desirée also regularly helps clients proactively identify and manage the risks associated with social media use. She counsels individuals and corporations alike on social media best practices, how to effectively implement regulations for social media use in and outside of the workplace, and how to implement disciplinary measures for unlawful social media use.
As a trial attorney, Desirée has successfully litigated in state and federal court and has managed high-level disputes in sectors such as cryptocurrency, social media, intellectual property, entertainment, product liability, labor and employment, and class action defense at the trial and appellate court level. As a co-resident of the firm’s Doha, Qatar office, she also has extensive experience in domestic and international arbitration.
Desirée leads the firm’s professional development (PD) committee, where she and the committee guide the PD team in their implementation of innovative training and other programming for attorneys and staff globally, including programs that have gained national attention such as the Mini-MBA, Pitch Perfect, Ted-style Talks, and more. Desirée is actively involved in the firm-wide Women in the Profession group and created the Women’s Mastermind program, which supports the business development goals of women associates and partners.
- Crain’s Chicago Business “Notable Gen X Leaders in Accounting, Consulting, and Law” in 2021
- Chicago Law Bulletin’s “Top 50 Women in Law” in 2021
- Chicago Law Bulletin’s “40 under 40” in 2020
- Loyola University Chicago School of Law’s St. Robert Bellarmine Award Recipient in 2020 (to honor alumni who have been in practice for 15 years or less and who have distinguished themselves by their contributions to the profession and to the School of Law)
- Named Law360 “Legal Lion” in 2019 after Illinois consumers agreed to drop a proposed class action and later retracted their claims that the maker of the wildly popular LaCroix sparkling water wrongly advertised its drinks as "100% Natural."
- Author of the book "Thrive – A New Lawyer's Guide to Law Firm Practice" (ABA 2012)
- Co-chair, National Association of Women Lawyers (NAWL) 2022 Leadership Program
- Board of Directors for Ingenuity (present)
- Board of Governors for Loyola University Chicago School of Law (present)
- Chairperson, USA Gymnastics Ethics and Grievance Committee (present)
- Economic Club of Chicago, Questions Committee Member (present)
- American Bar Association Middle East North Africa Rule of Law Initiative (Council Member, 2017-2019)
- Global Fine Art Awards (Executive Committee and Board Member, 2017-2018)
- Chicago Bar Association (Judicial Evaluation Committee Member, 2012)
- Reach Out & Read Illinois (Junior Board Member, 2012-2013)
- Speaker, "Webinar: Unpacking the SEC Cybersecurity Rules and Impacts," Hosted by Compliance Solutions Strategies, September 2022
- Speaker, "Contract and Franchise Law and its Impact on Wine Sales in the United States (And Other Interesting Legal issues!)," Hosted by Quality Brand Imports, May 2022
- Speaker, “Social Commerce: Public Policy and User Privacy Challenges of the Future,” University of Florida Entertainment and Sports Law Society 2022 Spring Symposium, 25 March 2022
- Speaker, “Effective Data Breach Response: Practical Tips and Strategies Explored,” Knowledge Webcasts, 21 June 2021
- Speaker, “Crisis Management in the Digital Age for PACA,” Pennsylvania Aggregates and Concrete Association (PACA), 22 April 2021
- "CLE Webinar - Crisis Management in the Digital Age," presented by the Association of Corporate Counsel, 9 March 2021
- Speaker, “Two Kinds of Companies: How Data Breach Impacts Us All,” 13 August 2020
- “Leading Globally: New Paradigms for Navigating Successfully in Today's World,” International Executive Resources Group, 23 January 2019
- “General Counsel University - Sexual Harassment and Social Media in the Workplace,” presented at K&L Gates Pittsburgh, 22 May 2018
- “Where Did We Come From and Where Are We Going: Provenance and Purchase in the Blockchain Age” - a live program hosted by K&L Gates and GFAA, March 2018
- “General Counsel University - Like This - How to Assess and Manage your Social Media Risk,” presented at K&L Gates Chicago, 25 October 2017
- “Linking In - How to Enhance Your Legal Marketing, Trial, and Other Practitioner Skills Through Social Media,” presented at the National Association of Women Lawyers Annual Conference, 14 July 2016
- “Handling Unlawful Content on Social Media Sites,” presented via K&L Gates webinar, 25 March 2015
- Legal Writing, Arbitration, and Trial Work, Guest Lecturer - Qatar University - 2015
- “The Essential Guide to Successful In-House Lawyering,” presented at K&L Gates Chicago, 4 February 2014
- Television interview advising summer associates about best practices in a law firm environment, presented to Bloomberg Law
- “Speaking to Generation Next,” presented at National Association for Law Placement 2013 Annual Education Conference, 26 April 2013
- “Key Communication Skills for Young Lawyers,” presented at Ms. JD Annual Conference, 6 October 2013
Desirée regularly writes and lectures on various legal topics including social media and the law and the intersection of art and law. She also lectures and writes on practitioner topics, including professionalism, new lawyer training, and entrepreneurship. She has contributed to K&L Gates’ Arbitration World publication and is a contributor to Law360, Above the Law, The Girl’s Guide to Law School, the Lexis Nexis Hub for New Lawyers, and other publications directed to the legal community.
- “Over a Fortnite: Epic Games to Pay Record US$520 Million to Settle FTC Claims of Children’s Privacy Violations and Digital Dark Patterns That Continued for Years,” The Computer & Internet Lawyer, April 2023
- “Ransomware Attacks Target Health Care Industry,” Reuters Westlaw Today, 31 October 2022
- “5 Steps For Counsel Managing Health Care Data Breaches,” Law360, 18 March 2022
- How Employers and Employees Can Work Together to Tackle Cyber Harassment in the Workplace, CARPLS, 29 September 2021
- How To Authenticate Social Media Evidence In Court, Law360, 28 June 2019
- “Disciplining Employees for Social Media Use,” Wolters Kluwer, December 2018
- Child Labor Related Uses of Section 337, Federal Circuit Bar Journal, Vol. 27, No. 4, October 2018
- “The Reinvention Of Art Auctions In The Age Of Blockchain,” Law360, 3 July 2018
- “High Court Answers Appeal Question For Consolidated Cases,” Law360, 18 June 2018
- Mentioned, Crain’s 2021 Notable Gen X Leaders in Accounting, Consulting and Law, CrainsChicagoBusiness.com, 19 November 2021
- Mentioned, "ILTACON Day 3 – It’s All About Moral Support," ArtificialLawyer.com, 25 August 2021