Elizabeth Crouse provides business-focused solutions for U.S. federal, state, and international tax problems in a variety of transactions and investment structures. She has particular experience assisting multinational businesses and investor, developer, and operator clients in the renewable energy industry, including storage and secondary market acquisitions of renewables facilities by taxable and tax-exempt organizations.
In addition, Elizabeth is familiar with navigating the challenges and opportunities of the Opportunity Zones incentive, U.S. federal and state renewable energy tax incentive programs (including the investment tax credit, production tax credit, and 1603 cash grant), post-TEFRA partnership audit rules, and compliance with the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) and the Common Reporting Standard (CRS).
Elizabeth has been recognized as a "Rising Star" by Super Lawyers magazine and is the co-director of the Seattle chapter of Women of Renewable Industries and Sustainable Energy.
Prior to beginning her legal career, Elizabeth served in the United States Navy.
- Rising Star, Super Lawyers Magazine, 2017-2018
- Co-Chair, Seattle Chapter of WRISE (Women in Renewable Energy and Sustainable Industries), 2017 - present
- Co-Chair, Washington State Bar Association, International Tax Subcommittee, 2014 - 2018
- Update on Qualified Opportunity Zones and Tax Credits, Strafford CLE, July 2019
- Energy Storage Project Development: An Overview of Key Policy, Finance, and Development Issues with K&L Gates, June 2019
- Welcome to OZ: Leveraging the Opportunity Zones Incentive for Renewables and Storage, AWEA Windpower Conference, May 2019
- Let’s Make a Deal: Wind + Storage, AWEA Windpower Conference, May 2019
- Women in Power Seminar: Renewables 3.0, May 2019
- Energy Storage in OZ: Opportunities for Storage Developers, California Energy Storage Alliance, Annual Members Meeting, February 2019
- Qualified Opportunity Zones and Tax Credits, Strafford CLE, January 2019
- Blockchain Seattle, September 2018
- Clean Energy Solutions for All, GoGreen Seattle, April 2018
- Identifying and Innovating through Points of Resistance in Renewables, April 2018
- Post-2017 Partnership Audit Regime--Focus on Investors, The Regulatory Fundamentals Group, August 2017
- Navigating Changes in Energy Attitudes Coast to Coast, May 2017
- Inversions, Ireland, and Other International Tax Intrigue, Washington State Bar Association, December 2014
- Making Sense of the Cost Basis Reporting Rules, Seattle Tax Group, March 2011
- “A Primer On Effectively Connected Income,” Law360, 18 May 2017
- “Hitting the Sweet Spot: U.S. and Canadian Tax Treatment of Cross-Border Spinoff,” Tax Notes International, Volume 78, Number 12, 2015
- “Doing As They Say or Saying As they Do: Tax Policy and the (In)Effective and (In)Efficient Taxation of Credit Card Awards,” The Lydian Payments Journal, 2010
- “The Tax Treatment of Transferable Development Rights,” Michigan Tax Lawyer, Spring 2008