Elizabeth Evans is a partner at the firm’s New York office. She is a member of the banking and asset finance practice group and heads the airfinance practice in the Americas. She concentrates her practice in structured asset-based finance, and focuses on aviation finance (both fixed wing and rotary), satellite finance, transportation finance, and project finance. She also engages in related transactional, regulatory and policy work for aviation, aerospace and space industries. Her practice includes private placements of debt and equity, leveraged equipment leasing and all aspects of the law relating to outer space (both domestic and international).
Prior to joining the firm, Elizabeth served as a partner in the financial institutions group at an international law firm, where she focused her practice on aviation and other asset-based finance, (including satellite, railcars, trucks and heavy equipment finance transactions), as well as space law policy work. Elizabeth has represented banks, financial institutions, credit capital corporations, private equity investors, governmental agencies, export credit agencies and leasing companies in complex structured financings, including air traffic control system financings, airport and terminal development projects and aviation, rail car and truck financings. She has spent many years working on restructurings (both in court and out-of-court) during economic downturns. She has done both debtor side and lender/lessor side work in numerous aviation restructurings, and has represented private equity funds in the purchase of distressed equity positions in equipment finance. She helped arrange and conduct unique foreclosures and auctions of satellites orbiting in space. She has also played an instrumental role in drafting legislation relating to the laws of outer space.
Elizabeth has represented major trucking and equipment leasing companies in designing and implementing lease-to-purchase programs and developing securitization programs for owned and leased assets. She regularly represents lenders and lessors in negotiating warehouse financings, UCC Article 2A finance leases, and sale-leasebacks secured by aircraft, rail cars, trucks and other equipment assets.
Elizabeth has also been involved in Small Business Administration micro lending and small business concern guaranteed development loans. For almost two decades, she represented the East Harlem Business Corporation as a lender to businesses in New York State designated economic development zones, and was a recipient of Lawyers’ Alliance Cornerstone Award for such work. She is regularly advising clients on availability of programs offered by the SBA under the 2020 Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES Act).
- Who’s Who in Transportation (2019)
- Chambers USA (2012–2018) describes Liz as having a "particularly deep knowledge of issues relating to Asia" and as being "very dedicated to her clients"
- Winner: Best in Aviation, IFLR Americas Women in Business Law Awards (2017)
- Who's Who Legal in Aviation (2011–2019)
- Euromoney's Expert Guides, "Best of the Best" for Aviation Lawyers (2001 - 2020), "Aviation Lawyers" and "Women in Business Law" (2010, 2012, 2016, 2018, 2020)
- New York State Bar Association
- American Bar Association, Aircraft Finance Subcommittee, Forum of Air and Space Law
- Association for Transportation Law, Logistics and Policy
- “Helicopter Finance in 2020,” Airline Economics Growth Frontiers, Dublin, Ireland (January 2020)
- “Regulation of High Altitude Platform Stations,” ABA Air and Space Law Forum Finance Conference (December 2019)
- “Innovation in Helicopter Financing,” Airline Economics Growth Frontiers, Hong Kong, China (November 2019)
- “Space Finance,” 8th Annual Space and Satellite Regulatory Colloquium, Washington, D.C. (October 2019)
- “Innovation in Space Port Financing,” ASCE Conference, Alexandria, Virginia (June 2019)
- “Helicopter Financing,” Airline Economics Growth Frontiers, Hong Kong, China (November 2018)
- “Capital Markets Financing for Aviation Assets,” Airline Economics Growth Frontiers, Dublin, Ireland (January 2018)
- “New Space Industries,” Asia-Pacific Satellite Communications Council Conference, Tokyo, Japan (October, 2017)
- "Financing Small Satellite Operations," Smallsat Symposium, Silicon Valley 2017, Conference, Silicon Valley, California (February 2017)
- "Opening Speech: Currency Concerns in Latin American Aviation Finance," 12th Annual Latin America Airfinance Conference, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (September 2016)
- "Assessing North American Airlines’ Financing Needs in 2016," 36th Annual North America Airfinance Conference (April 2016)
- "Will JOLCO market survive under tax reforms?" 16th Annual Asia Pacific Airfinance Conference, Hong Kong, China (November 2015)
- "How Big are the EETC and Private Placement Markets in Latin America?" 11th Annual Latin America Airfinance Conference, Miami, Florida (September 2015)
- "The Future of Big Data in Aviation," 35th Annual North America Airfinance Conference, Miami, Florida (May 2015)
- "Regulation of Drones and Privacy Law Issues," Forum on Air Space Law Aviation Finance (December 2014)
- "Satellite Finance," Third Annual Space Satellite Regulatory Colloquium, Washington, D.C. (October 2014)
- “U.S. Space Force, National Space Council and the Case for Public-Private Partnerships," MilsatMagazine.com (27 July 2021)
- “American’s Airline Bailout for COVID19,” Aviation Expert Guides, North American Thought Leadership (May 2020)
- “Financing the New Frontier: Investments in the Growing Commercial Space Industry,” International Butterworths Journal of Banking and Financial Law (January 2019)
- "Aviation Emissions: What next?" Dentons Client Alert (March 2016)
- "Property interests in Space: Recent U.S. Policy, Milsat Magazine" SatNews (May 2015)
- “Anticipating Revised Rules Impacting Aircraft Finance Transactions,” Corporate Wire, (2012)
- "Time for a Solution to the Orbital Debris Problem" The Air & Space Lawyer, Vol. 24, No. 3 (2012)
- "Recent Finance Regulation and Litigation Affecting Aircraft Finance and the Aviation Industry" Corporate LiveWire (July/August 2011)
- “Section 1110 and All That,” Airfinance Journal Supplement, (2004)
- "Creative Collateral: Utilizing Slots, Gates, and Routes" Airfinance Journal Guide for Lawyers (2002)