Hector Espinosa is a partner in the firm’s Los Angeles office. He focuses his practice in the construction industry, working with clients from the onset of a project and contract formation to the resolution of claims through settlement and litigation. Hector represents general contractors, subcontractors, suppliers, and owners in a broad range of private and public projects.
Claims Resolution and Litigation
His experience includes prosecuting and defending construction contract, delay, impact and defect claims across a variety of projects ranging from hotels, theaters, and condominiums to civil and infrastructure projects such as wastewater treatment plants, roads, and bridges. Hector also represents contractors in bid protest and licensing matters, among other areas.
Advice and Counsel
Hector advises clients during construction enabling them to avoid or minimize litigation, including disputes over the scope of work, late payment, delay, and inefficiency. He also has experience advising clients during contract negotiation and providing advice regarding compliance with contractual and statutory requirements, including the California Government Code, the Business and Professions Code, Public Contract Code, the Miller Act, and the False Claims Act.
Before graduating from law school, Hector externed for the Honorable Consuelo B. Marshall, United States District Court for the Central District of California.
Hector is currently the pro bono coordinator for the Los Angeles office of K&L Gates.
- Hector Espinosa is ranked in California Construction by Chambers USA 2020 and was recognized in Chambers 2017 and 2016 as “Up and Coming” for California Construction.
- He has been recognized as a 2012 Southern California Rising Star for Construction Litigation, as noted in Los Angeles Magazine.
- Speaker, “Murphy’s Law Strikes, Now What? Insurance Coverage in California for Construction Claims” (with a focus on indemnity), sponsored by the Construction Law Subsection of the L.A. County Bar Association and the Real Property Law Section of the California Lawyers Association, 2018.
- Co-Chair and Faculty Speaker at the California Construction Law Conference, 2014, 2015, and 2017-2020. Hector Espinosa has presented on topics ranging from late payments and false claims to “Effective Discovery for Construction Claims.”
- Panel Speaker, "Hot Issues in Construction Law," California State Bar Annual Meeting, Long Beach, 2011