In 1996, K&L Gates opened our first Asia-based office in Hong Kong to support our technology clients with domestic and cross-border matters. Since then, we have become a full-service Hong Kong law firm, using our local presence as a springboard to expand our capabilities to meet our clients’ commercial and legal service needs in local and regional markets.
Our lawyers in Hong Kong instruct on diverse complex cross-border transactional, regulatory, and contentious matters, advising on both domestic and multijurisdictional issues. Having trained in a variety of jurisdictions in addition to Hong Kong, including the United States, England, the People’s Republic of China, and Australia, and being fluent in English, Mandarin, and Cantonese, they work closely with lawyers throughout the region and the firm to provide robust coverage and a coordinated approach to advising clients on a full range of local and cross-border deals and transactions, as well as on their complex multijurisdictional disputes, regulatory investigations and enforcement proceedings, and global compliance issues.
We are particularly adept at assisting global corporations, capital markets participants, and ambitious mid-sized and emerging growth companies operating across diverse industries, including the banking, energy, finance, financial services, life sciences, manufacturing, technology, telecommunications, and transportation sectors.
- Banking and finance
- Debt and equity capital markets (initial public offerings on the Stock Exchange of Hong Kong, NASDAQ, and the New York Stock Exchange; follow-on offerings; private investment in public equity transactions; debt securities offerings; and liability management transactions)
- Commercial technology and sourcing
- Construction and engineering
- Corporate/Mergers and acquisitions
- Energy, infrastructure, and resources
- Environment and planning
- Financial services
- Intellectual property (intellectual property portfolio management, intellectual property disputes, including section 337 proceedings before the U.S. International Trade Commission)
- Investment management, hedge funds and alternative investments
- Labor, employment, and workplace safety
- Litigation and dispute resolution (domestic and cross-border commercial, construction and intellectual property litigation, mediation, and domestic and international arbitration)
- Privacy, data protection, and information management
- Real estate
- Telecom, media, and technology
- The 2020 Asia-Pacific Chambers guide recognizes the firm among leaders in China in the areas of Aviation: Finance.
- The 2020 Asia-Pacific Legal 500 guide has ranked the firm among leaders in China in the areas of Corporate/M&A, Intellectual Property, Real Estate, and Structured Finance and Securitization.