Jacqueline Duval is a partner at the firm’s New York office. She is a member of the Asset Management and Investment Funds practice. Jacquie focuses her practice on family offices, ultra high-net-worth individuals, private foundations, domestic and international tax, finance, private equity, hedge funds, venture capital, digital currencies and blockchain, and real estate. She has over 25 years of experience helping investors, businesses, and family offices with strategic planning, tax and entity structuring, investment execution, operational legal issues, and the complicated rules related to private foundations and not-for-profits. Jacqueline has a special interest in promoting diversity and equality by supporting and working with women entrepreneurs and investors.
The structuring and servicing of family offices and transactional work related to their investments is a key aspect of Jacquie’s practice. She works as outside counsel for both single- and multi-family offices and collaboratively advises on entity structuring and strategic operational issues, tax, investment execution, and coordination of the total legal needs of her clients.
A highly responsive trusted advisor, Jacquie helps clients navigate through complex and transactions across asset classes including funds, direct investments, securities transactions and venture capital, as well as the operational and technical aspects of running a family office of any size. She has deep knowledge of the tax guidelines related to private foundations and other charitable organizations, and in managing the unique challenges that arise when these entities or related persons are parties to an investment. This includes the complex rules related to self-dealing, excess business holdings, and program related investments.
A hallmark of Jacquie’s client service approach is her ability to establish immediate credibility with clients and their other professional advisors. She is dedicated to working with her clients to define their legacy and ensure their vision for the future.
Prior to joining the firm, Jacqueline served as a partner at a U.S. law firm. She started her career as a tax lawyer at an international law firm, and then moved to work for investment banks. She worked a total of almost twelve years in London, England. Jacqueline then moved back to New York to work in-house for a family office with a multi-strategy wealth management platform, where she was tax counsel, deputy general counsel, and later partner of a related law firm.
- Member, New York State Bar Association, Tax Section and Women in the Law
- Steering Committee Member, Larry Kraus Tax Institute for Family Offices
- Member, International Bar Association, Taxes Committee, Private Client Tax Committee
- Member, Cornell University President’s Council of Cornell Women
- Member, Law School Dean’s Advisory Council
- Founding Member and President, Mary Kennedy Brown Society
- Organizer, NYC Inaugural Women’s Summit
- Cornell Law Class of 1992 Reunion Chair (25th-year Anniversary)
- Executive Board of the Cornell University Law School Alumni (1999-2002)
- Guest Lecture: “Tax and Structuring Considerations for Venture Capital Transactions”, Cornell Law School, for course in “High Growth Corporate Transactions," 13 September 2022
- Moderator, “Crypto and NFTs: Tax and Legislative Update for Family Offices,” Larry Kraus Family Office Tax Institute, 2 August 2022
- Co-Chair, “2nd Annual U.S. and Europe Tax Practice Trends Conference,” American Bar Association, March 2022
- Moderator, “Trends in Single Family Office Direct and Co-investing,” Strassler, LLC, 17 February 2022
- "Program Related Investments and Mission Related Investments for Private Foundations," the Larry Kraus Tax Institute for Family Offices, August 2020
- “Intergenerational Giving and Family Sustainability: Best Practices from the Family Office World,” Jewish National Fund, December 2020
- “What's In a Name: Naming Rights -- Charitable and Commercial Considerations,” Larry Kraus Tax Institute for Family Offices, November 2020
- “19th Amendment for Cornell University: 100 Years Strong: A Woman's Vote”, Cornell University, August 2020
- “Creating Space in Male Dominated Fields of Law,” Above the Law, April 2021