James Strawn is an attorney in the firm’s oil, gas, and resources practice group. James’s primary areas of practice include negotiating, drafting and advising on:
- oil and gas producing property acquisitions and divestitures.
- exploration, production, marketing and midstream matters.
- joint operating agreements, joint ventures, drilling and drillco agreements, joint participation arrangements, joint exploration and development agreements, oil and gas leasing, master service agreements, materials procurement agreements, and farmout agreements.
- CCUS pore space acquisition, leasing, easements and access, blue hydrogen project matters.
James spent his first two years out of law school as an oil and gas administrative law judge where he presided over land, engineering and geologic testimony. Since then, James has practiced continually for over 40 years as an oil and gas attorney, focusing on all areas of the law relevant to the oil and gas exploration, production, marketing and processing business.
Prior to joining the firm, James spent the majority of his career as an in-house transactions attorney for Conoco and for twenty years at Pennzoil/Devon Energy. Since leaving Devon, he provides oil and gas legal advice to oil and gas exploration and production companies, drilling companies, midstream companies and service companies.
- Oklahoma Super Lawyers, Mergers and Acquisitions, 2007
- Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation
- Oklahoma Mineral Lawyers Association
- The Eugene Kuntz Conference on Natural Resources Law & Policy Planning Committee Member
- “Primer for the Non-Operator under a Standard Joint Operating Agreement,” March, 2017, presented to multiple Non-Operator clients.
- “Title Defect Issues in Upstream Acquisitions: Buyer Beware of Retained Acreage and Lease Expiration Clauses”, October 2017, Fort Worth Club Oil and Gas Seminar.
- “Use of the Special Warranty in Oklahoma and Texas Oil and Gas Transactions,” presented at the 2016 Eugene Kuntz Conference on Natural Resources Law and Policy, and Dallas Bar Association in 2017.
- “Oil and Gas Development, from Cradle to Grave” presented to WinU CLE, 2015
- “Lower Gas Prices, Longer Laterals, and Modern Lease Clauses” presented to AAPL Texas Land Institute, 2012, and to the Eugene Kuntz Conference, 2012.
- Moderator, Marcellus and Utica Midstream Infrastructure Summit, July, 2012.
- Federal Oil and Gas Leasing and Development: Onshore, Offshore and Indian Lands.” Presented at the University of Oklahoma College of Law, April, 2005
- “Oil and Gas Mergers and Acquisitions” presented at the 2003 Eugene Kuntz Conference on Natural Resources Law and Policy
- “Use of the Special Warranty in Oklahoma and Texas Oil and Gas Transactions,” Oklahoma University College of Law Energy Law Journal, Spring, 2017.
- “Acquiring Midstream Assets and Gas Agreements”, co-author, published in Law360, March, 2017.
- “Confidentiality Agreements in Oil and Gas Transactions – “Beyond the Boilerplate”” published in the Oklahoma Bar Journal, May, 2005.