Jennifer Mersing is counsel at the firm’s Seattle office. She is a member of the Power practice group. Jennifer’s practice focuses on energy regulatory and interconnection issues.
Prior to joining the firm, Jennifer was an of counsel at a national law firm. There she concentrated her practice on electric regulatory issues involving the FERC and certain state energy regulatory law matters, with a focus on renewable energy projects. She has advised and assisted with regulatory compliance for independent power producers, electric utilities, transmission providers, large industrial consumers of power and energy marketers regarding issues under the Federal Power Act (FPA), the Public Utility Regulatory Policies Act of 1978 (PURPA), and the Public Utility Holding Company Act (PUHCA). She also advised clients regarding electric interconnection agreements, shared facilities agreements and power purchase agreements. She has provided regulatory support for renewable energy project finance transactions and M&A transactions.
- Energy Bar Association, Finance, Transactions & Investments Steering Committee - Officer (2020 and 2021)
- “Lessons From FERC New England Capacity Market Settlement,” Law360, 29 July 2022
- Jason Johns, Jennifer Mersing, and Jessica Bayles, FERC acts to narrow PURPA yet again, PV MAGAZINE (21 July 2020).
- Jennifer Mersing, A Look at Solar Net Metering Changes in 2019, SOLAR INDUSTRY MAGAZINE (9 December 2019).
- Jennifer Mersing, Courts Back State Flexibility on Choice of Generation, POWER MAGAZINE (2 December 2018).
- Jennifer Mersing, Promoting Renewable Energy After Hughes v. Talen Energy, LAW360 (22 April 2016).
- Emma Fazio and Jennifer Mersing, What SCOTUS’ Hughes Ruling Means for Renewables, SOLAR INDUSTRY MAGAZINE (26 April 2016).
- Jennifer Mersing, Equalizing the Playing Field: Providing Ratepayer Protection in Non-Public Utility FERC Proceedings, THE ELECTRICITY JOURNAL (Dec. 2013).
- Jennifer Mersing, How to Phase Out Rich Country Agricultural Subsidies Without Increasing Hunger in the Developing World, ACCOUNTING FOR HUNGER: THE RIGHT TO FOOD IN THE ERA OF GLOBALISATION, Olivier De Schutter and Kaitlin Y Cordes, eds. (Hart Publishing 2011).
- Laurel W. Glassman and Jennifer L. Maul, Which Way is the Wind Blowing? Getting Wind Generation to the Grid, ELECTRIC LIGHT & POWER (Dec. 2010).
- J Mark Gidley, Rebecca H Farrington and Jennifer L Maul, Private anti-trust remedies in the US, PLC CROSS-BORDER (1 November 2008).
- Lisa Cohen, FERC Tariff Approvals Open Way for Energy Storage in Wholesale Markets, MICROGRID KNOWLEDGE (6 Dec. 2019).
- Sonal Patel, Nuclear Subsidy Dispute Now Rests with FERC, Competitive Generators Say, POWER (16 Apr. 2019).
- Pamela King, The fight’s not over yet on state nuclear credits, E&E NEWS (16 Apr 2019).
- Sonal Patel, DOJ, FERC Back Illinois in Nuclear Subsidy Fight, POWER (31 May 2018).
- Keith Goldberg, The Biggest Energy Rulings of 2016, LAW360 (15 Dec. 2016).