John Rothermich has represented clients in a wide range of complex commercial litigation and government investigations, with a particular focus on the defense of False Claims Act lawsuits and investigations, fraud claims, trade secrets litigation, and tax-related litigation in the health care, transportation and financial services industries. Additionally, John has obtained favorable settlements for employers in discrimination suits.
John has a varied pro bono practice, including work with the Oregon chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union, the Oregon Legal Aid Society’s Domestic Violence Project, and the local federal court pro bono panel.
John is committed to obtaining the best possible result for his clients in a compassionate, efficient, and strategic manner.
Since joining the firm, John led a trial team that obtained a complete defense jury verdict for a financial services software company in trade secrets litigation and has represented a professional services provider in connection with an investigation by the Oregon Attorney General’s Office. Prior to joining the firm, John was an attorney at a Pacific Northwest-based national law firm, where recent cases included defense of a transportation services provider in a multi-million dollar False Claims Act suit, representation of health care services providers in fraud investigations by the Office of the Inspector General (OIG) and U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ), and a property tax appeal to the Oregon Supreme Court, as well as assistance in resolving shareholder disputes, complex contract claims, real estate disputes, and employment discrimination claims.
- Daily Journal of Commerce “Up And Coming Lawyer” (2010)
- Legal Aid Society of New York, Award for Outstanding Pro Bono Service (2005)
- Board Member and Past Board President, Outside In (Federally Qualified Health Center serving homeless youth and other marginalized populations)
- Executive Committee Member, Health Law Section, Oregon State Bar (2020 - present)
- Former Chair, Antitrust and Trade Regulation Section, Oregon State Bar (2015)
- Executive Committee Member, Securities Regulation Section, Oregon State Bar (2013 - 2014)
- Member, Federal Bar Association (2008 - present)
- Barrister, Owen M. Panner American Inn of the Court (2009 - 2014)
- “Whistleblower Claims Against Health Care Businesses: Qui Tam Lawsuits Under the False Claims Act and Best Defenses,” October 2017, Oregon State Bar Health Law Section Annual Meeting
- “2015 Antitrust Developments of Interest to Oregon Practitioners,” November 2015, Oregon State Bar Antitrust and Trade Regulation Section Meeting
John clerked for the Honorable Alvin K. Hellerstein in the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York and for the Honorable Maryanne Trump Barry in the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit.