John Owens focuses his practice on the formation, financing and general corporate counseling of startup, growth-stage, and emerging companies with operations based both domestically and abroad. John enjoys building long-standing relationships with companies beginning at their earliest stages, and assisting them through critical periods of growth and challenge. His experience includes seed and venture capital financings, mergers and acquisitions, public and private offerings of securities, PIPE transactions, Equity Line Financings, and transactional work across a variety of industries, including technology, FinTech, telecommunications, e-commerce, financial services, medical technology, health care, manufacturing, retail, media, agriculture, hospitality, sports and entertainment. John has significant experience advising issuer clients in compliance with the requirements of federal securities laws.
John also regularly represents the investors that finance startup, growth-stage and emerging companies and public companies, including hedge funds, angel investors, venture capital firms, private equity firms, and corporate investors. He regularly counsels clients in domestic and cross-border transactions in emerging markets.
For all of his clients, John provides day-to-day client support and coordination of corporate governance issues, transactional needs and specialty counsel. He also has extensive experience in the negotiation and documentation of a wide variety of corporate and commercial transactions.
- Top Up and Comers, Honoree, South Florida Legal Guide, 2019, 2018 and 2017
- Rising Stars, Honoree, Florida Super Lawyers Magazine, 2019 and 2018
- Up and Comer Awards, Finalist (Law-Miami-Dade), South Florida Business and Wealth Journal, 2017
- Rising Star, Honoree, Daily Business Review, 2016
- 40 Under 40 Leaders of Today and Tomorrow, Honoree Miami-Dade County, Legacy Miami (Miami Herald), 2014
- 40 Under 40 Outstanding Lawyers of Miami-Dade County, Honoree, Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, 2012
- Member of practice group honored as “Law Firm of the Year” for Securities Regulation by the U.S. News-Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” survey, 2014
- Member of practice group honored as “Law Firm of the Year” in Mergers & Acquisitions magazine’s M&A Mid-Market Awards, 2012
- Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc.
- 100 Black Men of South Florida, Inc.
- National Black MBA Association
- Princeton Club of South Florida
- Exit Planning Exchange, South Florida Chapter (Founding Chapter Member)
- Miami-Dade Chamber of Commerce
- Formerly licensed by the National Football League Players Association as a certified contract advisor
- National Bar Association
- Florida Bar Association
- Guest Speaker, “Miami in Manhattan - Tech and Innovation Ecosystem of Miami”, November 2019
- Panelist, “Publicly Traded Cannabis Companies and Critical Legal Issues”, Cannabis LAB, March 2017
- Guest Speaker, “Formation and Financing of Startup and Growth Stage Companies”, WBRN Pete de la Torre Business Hour, January 2017
- Panelist, “Securing & Deploying Capital to Build Wealth”, ICABA Business Forum Wealth Summit, October 2015
- Panelist, “Big Law Bootcamp: Everything the Young Lawyer Needs to Survive at a Large Law Firm,” National Bar Association, July 2012
- Contributing author, Conducting a PIPE Offering, Lexis Nexis Securities Practice Guide, 2009