John Owens focuses his practice in three primary areas, (1) assisting entrepreneurs, early stage businesses and emerging businesses in assessing, strategically planning and managing their overall legal needs, as they progress through critical periods of growth and challenge, (2) representing investors that finance and/or acquire growth-stage and emerging companies, including venture capital firms, family offices, private equity firms, and other corporate investors, and (3) representing hedge funds, family offices and other investment funds in their direct capital market transactions with public companies.
As a trusted advisor to entrepreneurs, management and boards of privately-held and public companies, John provides guidance and transactional support for:
- compliance with corporate and securities laws and corporate governance practices, including public disclosure requirements;
- conducting securities offerings and raising capital, which in light of John’s representation of investors in various financing and commercial matters, enables his clients to benefit from both the investor and company perspectives in such transactions;
- mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures, and divestitures;
- national exchange listings;
- negotiating and documenting of a wide variety of corporate and commercial transactions; and
- maintaining good governance standards and proactively addressing new challenges as a businesses grow.
As a trusted advisor to family offices, investment funds, private equity, VC’s, corporate investors, and hedge funds, John provide guidance and transaction support for:
- compliance with reporting and other obligations under federal securities laws
- seed and private venture capital financings
- public venture capital financings
- PIPE transactions
- Equity Line transactions
- Buyout or leveraged buyout transactions
- Roll-up Strategy acquisitions
- Legal Opinions
John advises clients that conduct business in a variety of industries and pursuits, such as technology (including FinTech, medical technology, and media), international shipping and parcel delivery, e-sports, e-commerce, financial services, health care, manufacturing, retail, agriculture, beverages, opportunity zones, hospitality, sports, music, reality television and entertainment. John also frequently advises on cross-border transactions, assisting foreign companies investing in ventures and conducting business in the U.S., and representing domestic clients planning to engage in business abroad, particularly in emerging markets in Africa, Asia and LATAM.
John is an active member of the Florida Bar and the community. John currently serves on the board of trustees for Florida Memorial University, the only HBCU in South Florida. He also is a founding member of the South Florida Chapter of the Exit Planning Exchange.
- Top Up and Comers, Honoree, South Florida Legal Guide, 2019, 2018 and 2017
- Rising Stars, Honoree, Florida Super Lawyers Magazine, 2019 and 2018
- Up and Comer Awards, Finalist (Law-Miami-Dade), South Florida Business and Wealth Journal, 2017
- Rising Star, Honoree, Daily Business Review, 2016
- 40 Under 40 Leaders of Today and Tomorrow, Honoree Miami-Dade County, Legacy Miami (Miami Herald), 2014
- 40 Under 40 Outstanding Lawyers of Miami-Dade County, Honoree, Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, 2012
- Member of practice group honored as “Law Firm of the Year” for Securities Regulation by the U.S. News-Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” survey, 2014
- Member of practice group honored as “Law Firm of the Year” in Mergers & Acquisitions magazine’s M&A Mid-Market Awards, 2012
- Board of Trustees, Florida Memorial University
- Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc.
- 100 Black Men of South Florida, Inc.
- National Black MBA Association
- Princeton Club of South Florida
- Exit Planning Exchange, South Florida Chapter (Founding Chapter Member)
- Miami-Dade Chamber of Commerce
- Formerly licensed by the National Football League Players Association as a certified contract advisor
- National Bar Association
- Florida Bar Association
- Guest Speaker, “Miami in Manhattan - Tech and Innovation Ecosystem of Miami”, November 2019
- Panelist, “Publicly Traded Cannabis Companies and Critical Legal Issues”, Cannabis LAB, March 2017
- Guest Speaker, “Formation and Financing of Startup and Growth Stage Companies”, WBRN Pete de la Torre Business Hour, January 2017
- Panelist, “Securing & Deploying Capital to Build Wealth”, ICABA Business Forum Wealth Summit, October 2015
- Panelist, “Big Law Bootcamp: Everything the Young Lawyer Needs to Survive at a Large Law Firm,” National Bar Association, July 2012
- Contributing author, Conducting a PIPE Offering, Lexis Nexis Securities Practice Guide, 2009