Jorge Romero works in the maritime, finance, transportation, and restructuring and insolvency practice groups. He has extensive experience in international and domestic U.S. financial transactions in the maritime industry, focusing on asset-based structured financings and related capital markets transactions. In that context he has represented borrowers, lessees, hedge funds, institutional investors, and banks. He has also represented shipping company debtors and creditors in restructurings and bankruptcies.
Jorge’s commercial experience includes a broad variety of contracts and transactions involving maritime assets, such as shipbuilding contracts, vessel sale and purchase agreements, bareboat and time charters, contracts of affreightment, contracts for private marine security services, and related regulatory matters.
An important part of his practice focuses on advising investors and target companies on compliance with U.S. maritime laws relating to ownership and operation of vessels, such as the Jones Act and the American Fisheries Act.
- Of Counsel, K&L Gates 2007 to present
- Of Counsel, Preston, Gates, Ellis and Rouvelas Meeds 1998 to 2007
- Associate, Fort & Shlefer 1992 to 1998
- Chambers USA: Transportation: Shipping/Maritime: Regulatory in USA - Nationwide, recognized as notable practitioner
Chair, Fund for the Future of Our Children
Member, Propeller Club of Washington, D.C.
- Presentation on the Inland Waterways Trust Fund at the Pacific Northwest’s Mission to Washington, March 2012;
- Presentation on Water Resources Infrastructure Funding at the National Waterways Conference’s 50th Anniversary Annual Meeting, September 2010;
- Presentation on Alternative Funding for the Inland Waterways Trust Fund at the National Waterways Conference’s Annual Meeting, September 2009;
- Presentation on government guaranteed ship financing in 2009 North America's Marine Highways Conference, Jacksonville, Florida.