Kristi Nickodem is an associate in the Raleigh office, focusing her practice on labor, employment, and workplace safety. Kristi’s practice involves helping employers respond to complex employee relations concerns, including conducting internal employment investigations on employment issues. Kristi has experience advising employers on a wide variety of labor and employment issues, including employee separations, compliance with the Fair Labor Standards Act and various state wage and hour laws, the provision of reasonable accommodations to employees under the Americans with Disabilities Act, responding to citations issued by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, and the provision of leave pursuant to the Family and Medical Leave Act and various state and local leave laws. As part of her practice, she also routinely drafts handbooks, policies, employment agreements, and restrictive covenant agreements for employers.
Kristi has helped represent employers in a wide variety of administrative and civil litigation matters, including authoring pleadings, motions, and legal memoranda in matters involving trade secrets, contractual breaches, discrimination claims, and wage and hour issues. Kristi also conducts employment due diligence and advises on complex employment compliance issues arising in the context of mergers and acquisitions, including venture capital and private equity transactions. She has experience advising clients in a wide variety of industry sectors, including healthcare, technology, financial services, distribution, and manufacturing.
Prior to joining the firm, Kristi was a summer associate at K&L Gates in 2015. Kristi interned in 2014 for the Labor Section of the North Carolina Department of Justice. Prior to attending law school, Kristi worked as an employment specialist for a global humanitarian organization.
- Ethics Committee Co-Chair, 2017-2018, Labor and Employment Section of the North Carolina Bar Association
- “Employment Law: 2019 Comprehensive Guide - Drafting Must-Have Policies for Today’s Handbooks, National Business Institute presentation in Raleigh, North Carolina, October 2019.
- “A Journey Through Joint Employment in Health Care: Recent Developments and Guidance,” North Carolina Society of Health Care Attorneys Annual Meeting, September 2019.
- “Time’s Up Healthcare: The Current Climate of Sexual Harassment in Healthcare and Important Considerations of the Future - Parts 1 and 2,” K&L Gates Health Care Triage Podcast, May 2019.
- “Policies, Practices, and Pitfalls: Internal and External Investigations in the Employment Context,” K&L Gates “Under the Wire” CLE Seminar in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, January 2019.
- “#MeToo: How the Movement Impacts the Way Your Company Addresses Sexual Harassment,” K&L Gates “Under the Wire” CLE Seminar in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, February 2018.
- “How the Fourth Circuit’s New Joint Employer Test May Impact Healthcare Employers,” K&L Gates Health Care Triage Podcast, June 2017.
- “Drafting an Employment Dispute Settlement Agreement and Release,” Wolters Kluwer Smart Task.
- “An Unpredictable Legal Landscape for Joint Employer Issues in the Health Care Industry,” American Health Lawyers Association, Labor and Employment Practice Group Briefing, March 28, 2019.
- “The New OSHA Anti-Retaliation Provisions,” North Carolina Bar Association Labor & Employment Section Blog, February 2017.