Lian Yok Tan is our firm's global practice area leader of the Energy, Infrastructure, and Resources practice and she actively coordinates initiatives for the Indonesian sector. She has close to three decades of experience advising on a broad spectrum of renewables, LNG, power, oil and gas, infrastructure, mining, fintech, e-commerce, and technology matters including, among other projects: power plant, smelter and refinery construction, financing and operation; oil and gas exploration and commercialization; LNG offtake, infrastructure development; electric power sale and distribution; and hydrocarbon and mining assets sale and disposal.
She has advised government-linked corporations, financial institutions, and private enterprises on a number of notable renewable, energy, mining, and oil and gas projects around the world. She has been involved in many projects from their inception to their commercial realization.
As well as advising on project development and construction, Lian has significant experience in advising on the financing aspects of transactions. Her experience includes advising on project, structured, trade, and asset financing incorporating swaps and other financial derivatives.
She has led negotiations on construction contracts, loan agreements, and commodity, asset, and corporate sale and purchase agreements; advised on joint ventures and project structures (including various public private partnership (PPP) projects); conducted risk allocation and reviewed the ‘bankability’ of project agreements; structured financing arrangements and other relevant security packages and considerations; and managed complex mergers and acquisitions.
Her in-depth experience, broad technical and seasoned commercial approach are well regarded by her clients and peers. In 2019, Chambers & Partners directory of lawyers rated Lian and said this:
Tan Lian Yok of K&L Gates earns praise for her knowledge of the Indonesian market, with sources reporting that she is "detail-oriented, very commercial and hands-on ..." Interviewees also say: "She is hard-working, with an ultra-fast response, is easy to reach, and always provides thorough yet easy-to-understand legal advice."
Prior to joining K&L Gates, Lian was a partner at several large international law firms based in Singapore focusing on cross-border energy, infrastructure, power, mining and metals, and oil and gas and LNG project development, structuring and financing, construction, and mergers and acquisitions.
Lian has been ranked in the 2021 edition of Chambers Global and Chambers Asia Pacific, Projects & Energy (International Firms) (Expertise Based Abroad) Indonesia section and in Project Development, Singapore IFLR1000. She has also been featured in previous editions of Chambers Global, Chambers Asia Pacific, Asia Pacific Legal 500, and IFLR 1000. She has led or been a contributing team member for over US$50 billion worth of deals throughout her career, with more than deals receiving accolades in trade publications for their value, scale, and scope.
- Member, Institute of Chartered Shipbrokers
- Member, Association of International Petroleum Negotiators (AIPN)
- Member, Singapore Institute of Arbitrators
- Member, International Swaps and Derivatives Association (ISDA)’s Asia-Pacific Energy, Commodities and Developing Products Group; Energy, Commodities & Developing Products Group; and Sanctions Working Group
Lian regularly conducts training and workshop sessions for clients and has presented at international conferences on various legal issues and spoken on women in leadership and diversity:
- “COVID-19: The New Normal, Social Distancing On Site, And Other Pandemic Problems,” K&L Gates Webinar, July 29, 2020
- “Examining barriers to female career advancement and building gender-equal organisations,” Women in Leadership - Advance & Thrive, Singapore, January 14, 2020, one of the panelists
- “2019 a Major Year of FIDs? The Evolving Supplies and LNG Business Models,” Gas Asia Summit, Singapore, October 31, 2019, one of the panelists
- “Choppy Waters Ahead - Renegotiating Your Marine Fuel Contracts Before IMO 2020?” 5th LNG & Clean Marine Fuel Forum 2019, Singapore, September 13, 2019
- "The more things change the more they stay the same: Rethinking LNG Contracts amidst rising commoditization," SKK MIGAS’ 2019 Centres of Technical Excellence (COTEs) Programme, Gas Indonesia Summit and Exhibition 2019 (GASEX 2019), Jakarta, July 31, 2019
- “OBOR – Rise of China and its Significance to Legal Services,” 5th Legal Forum Asia, Singapore, May 16, 2018
- “Incorporating Financing Packages in Your Procurement Strategies for Major Rail Projects,” 5th International Rail Summit, Kuala Lumpur, November 15-17, 2017
- “Challenges and Opportunities for Small Scale LNG in Asia,” moderator, IE Singapore’s Gas Forum 2017, Singapore, October 20, 2017
- “Managing Risks in International Mining Projects - Trends in International Mining Projects & Steps to Mitigate Risks,” China Mining Congress & Expo 2017, Tianjin, September 23-25, 2017
- “Managing Risks in International Oil & Gas Projects - Trends in International Oil & Gas Projects & Steps to Mitigate Risks,” Deepwater & Modular Fabrication Technology 2017 presented by China Offshore Oil Engineering Co. Ltd (COOEC) & Fluor, Shenzhen, September 21 & 22, 2017
- “New Emissions Indicate Rise of LNG as Marine Fuel in Asia,” Gas Indonesia Summit & Exhibition 2017, Jakarta, July 12-14, 2017
- “Singapore at the Centre: How the Little Red Dot could become Asia’s first LNG trading hub,” GASEX2016 Conference and Exhibition, Beijing, September 21-23, 2016
- “Managing Risks - Swiber Case Study,” Deepwater & Modular Fabrication Technology 2016 presented by China Offshore Oil Engineering Co. Ltd (COOEC) & Fluor, Qingdao, August 20 & 21, 2016
- “Closing the Investment Gap: Financing Energy and Environmental Targets,” 2016 Pacific Energy Summit, Singapore, June 22-24, 2016, one of the panelists
- “All Signs Point to Singapore: The Potential New Hub For Asia’s Emerging LNG Trade?” LNG 18 conference, Perth, April 11-15, 2016
- “Recent Developments in North American Oil, Gas, and LNG Markets & Impacts on Asian Energy Markets,” Gas Association of Singapore (GAS) and Institution of Chemical Engineer's Oil and Natural Gas Special Interest Group (IChemE SONG)’s joint event, Singapore, October 9, 2015
- “FPSO Contracting Exercise & Simulation: Solution Finding to Common Contractual Disputes Through Practical Examples” and panelist, “Panel Discussion: How Will Low Oil Price Affect FPSO Contracting And Execution?” FPSO World Congress 2015, Singapore, September 29 & 30, 2015
- “Risks and Opportunities in Unconventional Oil & Gas,” Singapore Stock Exchange’s Mining & Oil & Gas Investor Series, Singapore, July 29, 2015, one of the panelists
- “Recent Developments in North American Crude Oil, Natural Gas and LNG Markets and Impacts on Asian Energy Markets,” Association of International Petroleum Negotiators (AIPN) Manila Chapter event, Manila, July 3, 2015
- “A Legal Perspective,” LNG Marine Fuel Forum 2015, Singapore, May 25-26, 2015
- “Global Shale Development – The Shale Gale: Winds Of Change,” Technical Lecture Series of The Joint Branch of the RINA and the IMarEST (Singapore), Institution of Mechanical Engineers (Singapore branch), Centre for Offshore Research & Engineering (CORE), National University of Singapore (NUS), Society of Naval Architects & Marine Engineers Singapore and Gas Association of Singapore, Singapore, September 26, 2014
- "Indonesian Mining – Political & Economic Background," International Association of Dry Cargo Shipowners (INTERCARGO) meeting, Singapore, March 11, 2014
- "International Investment Treaties: How they work and how to structure deals to ensure investment protection" and "Commercial Factors in the Arbitration Clause: The most common sources of problems," International Arbitration in Asia Pacific – Pitfalls and Solutions seminar, organized by Singapore Chapter of the Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC) and K&L Gates, Singapore, January 23, 2014
- “Challenges in Investing and Acquiring Gold Mining Assets in Indonesia,” and “Structuring, Drafting and Managing Risks in Mining Contracts” (workshop), Asia Gold Summit, Jakarta, June 25-28, 2012
- “Overview of Project Finance, Project Finance Participants and Structures and Project Risks” (workshop), In-House Congress Jakarta 2012, June 27, 2012
- Procuring Infrastructure Public-Private Partnerships Report 2018, one of the contributors, International Bank for Reconstruction and Development / The World Bank
- “New emissions regulations indicate rise of LNG as marine fuel in Asia,” Gastech News, Articles, 11 September 2016
- “Black Clouds and Silver Linings - Opportunities and Challenges Faced by Investors in the Indonesian Coal Industry,” World Coal, May 2012.