Lou Patalano is of counsel in the firm’s Research Triangle Park office. He is a member of the Health Care and FDA practice group.
Prior to joining the firm, Lou served as chief legal officer, senior corporate vice president, and corporate secretary for a large integrated delivery network health care organization that services Virginia and northeastern North Carolina. Through this role, Lou advised on the full scope of legal matters company-wide. Lou collaborated with hospitals, insurance subsidiaries, physicians and staff members throughout the organization to provide strategic legal counsel and assist business units in operating under the array of laws regulating providers and payors. Previously, Lou also served as general counsel and senior vice president for a large regional health system in North Carolina where he provided strategic legal support to its multiple hospitals, physicians, and staff members. In addition to his health care provider-based experience, Lou has substantial experience in the managed care and payor space as he was formerly deputy general counsel and vice president for a major insurer in North Carolina where, in addition to leading the day-to-day legal function, Lou was also directly involved in several successful payor-provider collaborations. Earlier in his career, Lou served as a health care fraud prosecutor for the Attorney General’s Office and United States Attorney’s Offices in North Carolina.
- Honoree, 2021 Virginia Business Legal Elite, Corporate Counsel
- Honoree, The Fayetteville Observer 40 Under 40 Class of 2011
- American Bar Association
- American Health Lawyers Association
- North Carolina Bar Association Health Law Section
- North Carolina Society of Health Care Attorneys
- National Asian Pacific American Bar Association
- Vice-Chair, UNC Alumni Committee on Racial & Ethnic Diversity
- Director, UNC General Alumni Association Board of Directors
- Founding Supporter, Miranda Family Fellows at Woolly Mammoth Theatre