Martin Gusy is a dual-licensed common law-civil law attorney based in the New York office with more than 15 years of deep experience in representing commercial parties as well as sovereigns in high-stakes, cross-border disputes and transactions, including international dispute resolution, international commercial arbitration, investor-state/investment arbitration, litigation and corporate matters.
Martin has been recognized for his international experience and worked in a broad range of substantive areas and industries, including technology, manufacturing and engineering joint ventures, energy, oil and gas, mining, banking and finance, construction, distribution and franchising, insurance, IP protection and IP licensing. Benefitting from prior work experiences in Frankfurt, Singapore, Paris, Houston and São Paulo, advising clients from Europe, Asia, the Middle East/Africa, North and South America as well as Australia, Martin has counseled dozens of parties in international arbitrations under the ICC, ICSID, AAA/ICDR, LCIA, UNCITRAL, VIAC and SIAC International Arbitration Rules.
Martin's advocacy work is informed by his regularly serving as sole arbitrator, president of the tribunal and party-appointed arbitrator in about two dozen ICC, AAA/ICDR, UNCITRAL and ad hoc arbitrations. He is a member of the AAA/ICDR International Roster of Arbitrators and Mediators since 2010 and the co-author of the Second Edition of ‘A Guide to the ICDR International Arbitration Rules’, a leading industry text published by Oxford University Press. Martin also served as a mediator in an international commercial dispute involving a sovereign.
European companies with corporate interests in the United States turn to Martin for counsel to advise on distribution and corporate structures, IP licensing, commercial transactions and contracts, including the formation of joint ventures and mergers and acquisitions.
Martin is an active member of numerous professional associations, including on the Board of Directors of the New York International Arbitration Center (NYIAC), the ITA Advisory Board and the New York City Bar Association’s International Commercial Disputes Committee. He was involved in drafting institutional arbitration rules and currently co-authors an Association of International Petroleum Negotiators (AIPN) research project on joint operating agreement disputes. In 2007, Martin received the American Arbitration Association’s Distinguished Service Award for distinguished service and support of international arbitration and mediation.
Prior to joining the firm, Martin was a partner in the New York office of a large U.S. law firm where he served as the chair of the international arbitration group.
In 2008, Martin co-founded a multilingual law firm headquartered in New York, where he led that firm’s litigation and arbitration practice. That firm was recognized by Corporate Intl magazine as the “International Arbitration Advisory Firm of the Year in the USA” in 2010.
- Ranked in Chambers Global 2017 and 2018 for USA – International Arbitration (Foreign Expert for Germany)
- Ranked as a New York Metro Super Lawyer for International Law (2014-2018)
- Listed by Lawyer Monthly as a Leading Lawyer 100 in the field of Dispute Resolution in 2011
- ICDR International and AAA Commercial Roster of Arbitrators and Mediators (since 2010)
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (Member)
- International Arbitration Institute
- German-American Lawyers’ Association
- New York City Bar Association, International Law Committee (past member), International Commercial Dispute Committee (since 2017)
- New York International Arbitration Club
- Member of CPR’s Brazil Advisory Board
- Member of ITA Advisory Board
- Permanent member of the faculty of The University of Roma Tre’s ‘Certificate in International Commercial and Investment Arbitration’ program (together with AIA, ICC and CAM since 2013)
- International Perspectives at Indian APEX Chamber conference on ‘Changing Landscape of Alternative Dispute Resolution in India’ [New Delhi, 2018]
- Business Dispute Management – Reflections on Innovation at CPR’s Brazil Congress 2018, Sao Paulo
- Consolidation of arbitral proceedings - ICDR Miami International Arbitration Conference 
- Political Risk - Recoveries Against Sovereigns - The Insurance Institute of London 
- Damages in Oil and Gas Disputes - ICDR/AIPN Conference: Dispute Resolution in the International Oil & Gas Business [Calgary, 2014]
- Tell me the Truth! Depositions for Use in International Arbitration - ABA Section of International Law/DAV seminar [Frankfurt, 2013]
- Drafting Arbitration Clauses - PLI International Arbitration seminar [New York, 2013]
- Vertragssicherheit im U.S.-Geschäft - DAJV/IHK [Chemnitz, 2013]
- VDMA Expertengespräche on U.S. Business Immigration [Frankfurt, 2012]
- A Guide to the ICDR International Arbitration Rules [Second Edition, 2019, Oxford University Press, with James Hosking]
- Saving time and cost – international arbitration without a hearing on the merits? [in DAJV’s Zeitschrift für Deutsches und Amerikanisches Recht, ZDAR, July 2018]
- Anti-suit Injunctions and Anti-arbitration Injunctions in the US Enjoining Foreign Proceedings [Practical Law Litigation, with Matthew Weldon]
- The International Comparative Legal Guide to: Litigation & Dispute Resolution 2014 (7th Edition), with Matthew Weldon
- Leitfaden zur Vermeidung von Produkthaftung aufgrund falscher Betriebsanleitungen [VDMA Publikation]
- Drafting Arbitration Clauses [PLI International Arbitration 2013 Course Handbook]