Mr. Komo focuses his practice on compliance with the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), internal investigations, government enforcement actions, white collar defense, healthcare fraud, and commercial litigation.
As part of his FCPA practice, Mr. Komo advises companies on compliance with the FCPA and defends companies accused of alleged misconduct. He conducts investigations into alleged corruption, fraud, and misconduct. Mr. Komo has worked on multiple cross-border investigations in various jurisdictions. He has conducted several FCPA investigations in China and Brazil, among other locations in Latin America, Asia, and Europe. Mr. Komo has experience working with the DOJ, SEC, MPF, and SFO, among other enforcement bodies.
Additionally, when possible, Mr. Komo works with companies to identify and correct regulatory and compliance issues before the government is involved. He helps companies develop anti-corruption policies and procedures to deter and detect potential FCPA problems. He also undertakes due diligence investigations of current and prospective business partners and evaluates anti-corruption risks.
As part of his white collar practice, Mr. Komo advises and defends companies and individuals who are being investigated or prosecuted by the government. He conducts internal investigations to evaluate exposure under federal statutes, conducts interviews, and drafts reports. Mr. Komo also works with clients who are responding to government subpoenas.
As part of his healthcare fraud practice, Mr. Komo counsels clients in responding to governmental investigations and defending False Claims Act lawsuits. He has represented companies in investigations involving the Department of Justice, U.S. Attorney’s Offices, and other state and federal agencies. He also advises clients regarding compliance with the Stark Law and Anti-Kickback Statute.
As part of his litigation practice, Mr. Komo has drafted and argued a variety of dispositive motions. Mr. Komo has successfully won several motions for summary judgment and obtained an injunction for a client in federal court.
Mr. Komo is active in the firm’s diversity and inclusion initiatives, as well as the firm’s pro bono projects. He is the founder and chair of the firm’s LGBT employee resource group in Pittsburgh. He also represents a variety of pro bono clients, including revenge porn victims, domestic violence survivors, and transgender individuals seeking name changes.
Mr. Komo is licensed to practice in the District of Columbia and Pennsylvania.
Prior to joining the firm, Mr. Komo was a law clerk in Los Angeles for the Honorable Fernando M. Olguin of the United States District Court for the Central District of California, legal fellow for Lambda Legal, legal fellow for the Human Rights Campaign (HRC), legislative intern for Senator Robert P. Casey, Jr., and development intern for the Victory Fund Political Action Committee (PAC).
- In 2019, Mr. Komo received the K&L Gates Excellence in Mentoring Award, recognizing one Pittsburgh associate for outstanding mentorship.
- In 2014, Mr. Komo received GW’s Graduate Award for Individual Excellence, recognizing one student for overall contributions to GW.
- In 2013, Mr. Komo was one of four LGBT leaders under 30 in Washington, D.C., named by Metro Weekly as a next generation leader and received the magazine’s Next Generation Award presented by Mayor Vincent C. Gray.
- In 2012, Mr. Komo was the only graduate student to receive GW’s Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Award to honor his diversity and inclusion accomplishments.
- Allegheny County Bar Association (LGBT Rights Committee) (2017 – Present)
- National LGBT Bar Association (Membership Committee) (2019 – Present)
- Pittsburgh Legal Diversity & Inclusion Coalition (Community Building Committee Co-Chair) (2019 – Present)
- Pittsburgh Opera (New Guard Council President-Elect) (2019 – Present)
- Riverhounds SC Annual Night Out (Founder/Lead Organizer) (2016 – Present)
- Lavender Law Conference (Participant/Recruiter) (2013 – Present)
- GW Pittsburgh Alumni Network (Co-Chair) (2017 – 2020)
- GW LGBTQ Alumni Network (Co-Founder/Chair) (2011 – 2020)
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (Pittsburgh Co-Chair) (2016 – 2018)
- Firm Service and Recognition:
- Firmwide LGBTQ Subcommittee (Member) (2017 – Present)
- Pittsburgh Diversity Committee (Member) (2016 – Present)
- Pittsburgh Diversity Fellowship (Selection Committee) (2016 – Present)
- Pittsburgh LGBT ERG (Founder/Chair) (2016 – Present)
- Pittsburgh Associates’ Committee (Co-Chair) (2018 – 2020)
- Pittsburgh Mentor of the Year (Associate Honoree) (2019)
- Pittsburgh Great Debate (Co-Judge) (2019)
- Pittsburgh First-Year Associate Book Club (Co-Chair) (2017 – 2019)
- Mr. Komo was a co-presenter of “Mobile Devices at Work: Best Practices and Investigation Implications” at K&L Gates (December 2019).
- Mr. Komo was a co-presenter of “The Name Change Project CLE & Training for Allegheny County” at K&L Gates (October 2018, October 2019).
- Mr. Komo was the moderator of “Diversity Trends in the Legal Profession” at K&L Gates (February 2018).
- Mr. Komo was a co-presenter of “An Introduction to the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity” at University of Pittsburgh School of Law and Duquesne University School of Law (September 2016, September 2017).
- Mr. Komo was a co-presenter of “The Risks of Sexting and Cyber Bullying” at The Neighborhood Academy (April 2016).
- Mr. Komo has addressed a variety of local, state, and federal policy, political, and civil rights issues, and his media appearances include CNN, NBC, MSNBC, C-SPAN, Fox News, The Washington Post, National Public Radio, Metro Weekly, and The Advocate.