Mitchell is a special counsel in the corporate group in the Sydney office focusing on technology, sourcing and privacy. He advises on technology, privacy, intellectual property, contract disputes, security, and damages claims for clients across a variety of sectors. Mitchell is experienced in negotiating with Commonwealth and State government departments and agencies, banks, telecommunications carriers and carriage service providers, and media companies.
Prior to joining K&L Gates, Mitchell worked as a principal legal counsel for a multinational information technology company. He also worked at Telstra in senior legal (wholesale, and government and enterprise) and regulatory roles, including in relation to telecommunications technical regulation and competition policy. Mitchell worked with another large law firm before joining Telstra.
- Australasian Lawyer, Most Influential Lawyers in Australia (2022)
- Australasian Lawyer, In-House Leader (2022)
- Doyle's Guide, Leading In-House Technology, Media & Telecommunications Lawyer (2015)
- University of Technology Sydney, Law Industry Advisory Board, member (2023)
- Australian Institute of Company Directors, member (2022)
- Governance Institute of Australia, fellow (2022)
- Institute of Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys Australia, member (2020)
- Resolution Institute, professional member (2020)
- University of Technology Sydney, Faculty of Law, adjunct professor (2018)
- Law Council of Australia, Media and Communications Committee, member (2003)
- "Contract law and COVID-19 regulations – Laundy v Dyco and its path to the High Court" webinar, UNSW Edge, 20 July 2023