Niel Coertse is a senior associate at the firm's Doha office. He is a member of the Construction and Infrastructure practice group. Niel advises and acts for employers, contractors, and consultants in disputes arising out of infrastructure, hospitals, airports, mixed-use developments projects, and chemical process plants. Niel has a wide experience of working with the FIDIC suite of contracts, as well as numerous bespoke forms of construction contracts. He also advises clients on the full scope of engineering and construction issues ranging from procurement/contract strategies through to dispute avoidance/resolution.
He has advised clients on matters of Qatari, UAE, Bahraini, and South African laws.
Niel’s construction law career started in South Africa, where he advised major contractors and employers across a wide range of industries, including mining, infrastructure, and energy. Prior to joining the firm, Niel served as a senior associate in the construction engineering and projects group of an international law firm in their Dubai and then Qatar offices. Through this role, Niel drafted various construction law related opinions under UAE, Bahraini, and Qatari laws, and provided clients with claims and contract management advice, dispute avoidance, and risk mitigation strategies in relation to ongoing projects in the UAE, Bahrain, Qatar, and Cyprus. In addition, Niel represented clients in ICC and DIFC-LCIA arbitrations.
- The 2021 Qatar Chapter in the International Comparative Legal Guide to International Arbitration (ICLG);
- ‘Conditional Payment Clauses in the UK and the Middle East’ (Thomson Reuters’ Practical Law Construction Blog);
- ‘Decennial liability: What is it, and does insurance cover it?’(Lexology).
- Article titled ‘Cooling a desert environment sustainably - Dubai rises to the challenge’ (Thomson Reuters Practical Law Construction Blog);
- The 2016 and 2017 Chapters on the ‘UAE’s Construction and Engineering Law’, International Comparative Legal Guide to Construction and Engineering Law (‘ICLG’);
- A paper titled ‘Third Party Financing of International Arbitrations’ for the Arbitration and Alternative Dispute Resolution Conference hosted by Jordan’s Ministry of Justice.
- Niel presented webinars on the following topics:
- Disruption claims in Qatar;
- The future of Force Majeure clauses.