Paolo Zamberletti is a partner of the firm’s energy infrastructure and resources department and is responsible for the firm’s energy practice in Italy. He is based in the Milan office.
Paolo joined K&L Gates in May 2016. Prior to joining the firm, he has worked for more than 7 years as a partner in another major international firm and for 6 years as a senior associate in a London magic-circle firm.
Paolo has 20 years of experience in M&A, joint venture and other corporate transactions, in drafting and negotiating commercial agreements, in advising clients on regulatory matters and in providing support to litigation teams in connection with a variety of corporate and energy related disputes.
Paolo has in-depth experience in the energy sector, with particular focus on oil & gas (including LNG), power and renewables.
In this sector, he provides assistance to clients on transactional and commercial matters, and supports litigation teams in connection with energy-related disputes.
His experience includes assistance on the corporate and regulatory aspects of a number of projects for the construction and management of LNG regasification terminals, including the offshore Rovigo regasification terminal, the largest currently in operation in Italy. In this area, he has considerable experience, among others, in drafting the relevant regasification/access code.
He also assists clients in the drafting and negotiation of long-term, take-or-pay LNG and gas sale and purchase agreements, LNG master spot agreements, power purchase agreements (including long-term PPAs) and EFET agreements for the sale and purchase of gas and power as well as on various other matters relating to the trading of energy commodities.
Paolo also advises major operators in connection with price review cases under long-term, take-or-pay LNG and gas supply agreements. Assistance on these matters includes giving advice in connection with price review negotiations, drafting of settlement/amendment agreements and providing support to the litigation teams in connection with the relevant arbitration proceedings.
He has deep knowledge of the regulatory framework applicable in the gas and power sector in Italy, and advises clients in connection with appeals against resolutions of the Autorità di Regolazione per Energia Reti e Ambiente - ARERA (the Italian energy regulatory authority) on a variety of power and gas trading, storage, balancing, transportation and distribution matters.
Paolo routinely advises industrial players, institutional investors and international organizations in a variety of M&A and joint venture transactions and corporate reorganizations. He provides assistance on both domestic and cross-border transactions spanning across a variety of industry sectors, including the energy, manufacturing, financial, health care and record management sectors.
His experience includes advising industrial clients and institutional investors (both domestic and international) in structuring and negotiating M&A transactions in the renewables sector, with particular reference to solar and wind projects, as well as in the oil and gas sector.
Paolo advises a major international organization in its equity investments in financial institutions and industrial players in the Balkans area, East Europe and Turkey.
He also provides to its clients advice and opinions on matters related to corporate law.
Prior to joining K&L Gates, Paolo was a partner, for over 7 years, at another primary international law firm based in Milan, where he was involved, inter alia, in several M&A and joint venture transactions as well as in a variety of energy related projects and transactions.
Prior to this experience, Paolo was a senior associate in a London magic-circle firm, where he worked for 6 years dealing with the same type of transactions.
- Ranked by Legal 500 EMEA for Energy (2022, 2021, 2020)
- April 2020, MilanoFinanza issued its ranking for Best Lawyers and Best Corporate Law Firms in Italy, Paolo Zamberletti was ranked Best Lawyer for Energy and Selected Lawyer for M&A Mid Market
- On 14 July 2022, Paolo Zamberletti acted as a speaker in the webinar “Energy and Corporate crisis: prevention tools” organized by IKN Italy.
- On 23 June 2022, Paolo Zamberletti acted as a speaker in the live training “The contractual discipline of extraordinary finance transactions - The Acquisitions” organized by the Scuola di Alta Formazione dei Dottori Commercialisti e degli Esperti Contabili delle Tre Venezie.
- On 15 April 2022, Paolo Zamberletti acted as a speaker in the live training “Legislation and Regulation of Gas & Power sector” organized by IKN Italy.
- On 8 February 2022, Paolo Zamberletti acted as a speaker in the live training “General Terms and Conditions of Energy Supply” organized by IKN Italy.
- On 21 July 2020, Paolo Zamberletti acted as a speaker and panelist in the Virtual Think Tank “Covid-19 Alias "The Black Swan" And The Paradox Of The Energy Market” organized by IKN Italy.
Paolo is the author of several articles on energy matters, with particular reference to the oil and gas sector.
He often speaks at conferences on energy-related matters, including the upcoming tenders for the gas distribution service in Italy.
He co-authored the Italian section of the 2016 Chambers Oil & Gas Global Practice Guide.
Paolo has been for several years a member of the board of examiners of the Conflicts of Law course at the State University of Milan and a contributor to the "Rivista di Diritto Internazionale Privato e Processuale" (Private and Procedural International Law Review).