Mr. Fuener is a partner in the firm’s Pittsburgh office focused on complex commercial litigation. A member of the firm’s global insurance coverage practice group, he concentrates his practice on representation of policyholders in complex insurance coverage litigation and counseling.
He regularly advises clients on insurance coverage for, among other things, first-party commercial property damage, business interruption and contingent business interruption, asbestos and silica product and premises liability, oil and gas liabilities, environmental property damage, directors and officers liability, fiduciary and crime losses, and nuclear liabilities. Mr. Fuener has helped clients achieve significant insurance recoveries in coverage disputes through both litigation and negotiation. He has represented policyholders in insurance coverage disputes in Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Ohio, West Virginia, Louisiana, Iowa, Texas, Florida, Washington, California, as well as internationally.
Mr. Fuener has also counseled clients on complex underwriting and risk management issues, including the structure, negotiation and manuscripting of first-party commercial property insurance, flood, general liability insurance, D&O, professional liability, fidelity and crime, cyber and other insurance policies and programs, and has done so for clients in a wide variety of industries.
- Partner with K&L Gates since 2014 and associate from 2004-2014
- While in law school, Mr. Fuener served as a law clerk to the Honorable Sarah L. Wilson of the United States Court of Federal Claims in Washington, DC, and an intern at the United States Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia, Appellate Division.
- Church of the Ascension, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (Chancellor, 2008-present)
- Shade Tree Commission, Borough of Sewickley (Past Board Member)
- Friends of the Sewickley Public Library (Past Board Member)
- Woodland Pool Swimming Club (Board Member, December 2018-2021)
- Key Issues in Business Interruption Insurance, February 8, 2012
- Selected Issues About D&O Insurance, May 1, 2013
- Superstorm Sandy: Are You Covered?, K&L Gates Webinar, November 13, 2012
- Issues Relating to the Settlement of Insurance Coverage Matters, October 3, 2008
- “R.T. Vanderbilt Clarifies Key Long-Tail Liability Issues of Connecticut First Impression,” American Bar Association, 24 April 2017
- Mentioned, W.Va. Judge Says 3 Exclusions Do Not Bar Coverage For Chlorine Gas Damages, Mealey’s Insurance, 30 November 2021