Richard Hayes is an international finance lawyer with a focus on acquisition and funds financings, and general corporate finance. For more than 25 years, he has advised clients in relation to acquisitions, refinancings, restructurings, recapitalisations and work-outs at leading firms in London, New York and Sydney.
Richard is known for his work on cross-border acquisition financing transactions, having advised on one of the largest and most significant acquisitions of an Australian listed company in recent times. His clients include global investment banks, commercial banks, debt funds, and other lenders, as well as private equity and other investment firms and corporations.
Richard is admitted in Australia, England, and New York and ranked as a leading banking and finance lawyer in the Chambers Asia Pacific, Chambers Global and Legal 500 Asia Pacific directories.
Richard has worked with Allen & Overy in London and White & Case in New York as a partner before returning to Sydney where he joined Mallesons Stephen Jaques (now King & Wood Mallesons) in 2004, and then Hogan Lovells in 2016 as head of the Australian banking practice.
- Chambers Global, ranked individual in Banking and Finance: Acquisition Finance (2017-present)
- Chambers Asia Pacific, ranked individual in Banking and Finance: Acquisition Finance (2013-present)
- The Legal 500 Asia Pacific, leading individual in Banking and Finance (2016-2019)
- Best Lawyers in Australia, listed in Banking and Finance Law and Private Equity Law (2016-present)
- IFLR1000, notable practitioner in Banking (2019-2020)
- Law Society of New South Wales member
- Law Society of England and Wales member
- New York State Bar member
- Asia Pacific Loan Market Association's Documentation Committee member
Richard is a regular presenter and guest lecturer on banking issues, including:
- Fund Finance Association’s Annual Global Symposium held in New York and Asia-Pacific Symposium held in Hong Kong
- University of New South Wales Master of Laws Banking & Finance course
- Chambers Global Practice Guide for Australia Banking and Finance co-author, 2019
- Australian Finance Law Intercreditor Issues chapter co-author