Robert W. Connors concentrates his practice in patent procurement and intellectual property litigation, including patent, trademark and copyright matters. He has extensive experience with patent prosecution and related opinions, post-grant procedures, litigation, licensing and related business issues in the U.S., Europe, and Asia.
Robert currently manages $3-5MM/year in legal spend on intellectual property matters, including:
- large scale freedom to operate investigations and opinions for new client launches,
- patent, trademark, copyright and general litigation to ensure quality and manage costs,
- client IP disputes to negotiate favorable settlements,
- invalidation proceedings in the US and EP for strategic competitor IP,
- investigation of client portfolios to identify strategic IP to assert against competitive products,
- investigation of client portfolios to identify strategic IP for licensing,
- client portfolio review to identify US and foreign IP ripe for culling, resulting in substantial cost savings,
- written presentations to client in-house attorneys, R&D and upper management,
- identification of client’s developmental technology worthy of patent protection, and
- review of competitor IP to help steer client R&D direction.
Robert has extensive experience in mechanical, electrical and chemical industries, and specializes in the medical industry, including:
- medical fluid machines, such as hemodialysis, peritoneal dialysis, continuous renal replacement, intravenous drug delivery, syringe pump, and heart-lung machines,
- medical fluid pumps, such as volumetric, peristaltic, platen, gear and gravity-driven pumps,
- medical fluid heaters, such as inline, batch, resistive plate, inductive and radiant heaters and associated control,
- cardiovascular stents,
- catheters, connectors, medical fluid bags, pumping cassettes, tubing and other disposable items,
- solutions, concentrates and sorbent materials, and
- orthopedic devices, such as back braces, knee braces, neck braces, wraps, cold therapy units, and deep vein thrombosis devices.
Robert also specializes in electrical circuit protection, including:
- automotive protection,
- EMC components,
- polymer ESD suppression, and
- resettable PCT fuses.
Additionally, Robert specializes in gaming devices, including:
- slot machines and bonus games,
- poker, baccarat, keno and plinko games,
- games of perceived skill, and
- progressive games and gaming systems.
Robert also specializes in industrial gas and related technologies, including:
- inerting, combustion, oil refining, and steel making,
- cryogenic and ozone applications,
- tank design and onsite generation, and
- as an engineer for Air Liquide America Corporation, was awarded six US patents, and designed and installed equipment at large, high technology companies such as IBM, NEC, Sun Microsystems, AT&T, and Chrysler.
- Board of Directors for Tripathi Foundation
- American Intellectual Property Association
- Federal Court Bar Association
- Intellectual Property Law Association of Chicago