K&L Gates’ Shanghai office opened in 2008 to assist our multinational clients with a broad spectrum of domestic and cross-border legal issues and to provide strategic counseling for clients regularly interfacing with Chinese regulators and governmental bodies.
Our lawyers in Shanghai are fluent in English and Mandarin and have a deep understanding of Chinese markets, with sector experience in the automobile, consumer goods, education, financial services, food and beverage, health care, industrial and manufacturing, logistics, mining and infrastructure, oil and gas, pharmaceuticals, real estate, and telecommunications sectors.
Combined with our fully integrated global network, our lawyers in Shanghai seamlessly advise:
- Multinational clients on their PRC-related issues, including antitrust and competition, mergers, public and private acquisitions, restructuring, joint ventures, state-owned enterprise issues, cross-border investments, tax, onshore and offshore fund formation, intellectual property protection, labor and workplace relations, international trade and customs, and contract manufacturing and sourcing-related matters;
- Foreign issuers and financial institutions on regulatory issues, including obtaining regulatory approvals and interfacing with major Chinese regulators, such as the China Securities Regulatory Commission, the State Administration for Foreign Exchange, and the Ministry of Commerce; and
- Chinese clients on outbound investments and go-global initiatives, including Belt & Road initiatives, accessing debt and equity capital markets, mergers and acquisitions, and restructuring, tax, real estate transactions, global compliance matters, intellectual property protection, public policy and lobbying, foreign incentive law matters, investment management, and licensing, as well as dispute resolution.
- drafting and advising on legislation and supervision in the asset management and finance sectors, as well as maintaining good relationships with regulators in these sectors, such as the stock exchanges.
Our lawyers in Beijing also regularly draft and advise on legislation and supervision in the asset management and finance sectors.
In 2020, we expanded our China-based Intellectual Property (IP) capabilities by launching the K&L Gates IP Agency in Beijing, which now allows us to file and prosecute trademark applications directly with the China National Intellectual Property Administration.
- Antitrust, Competition, and Trade Regulation
- Energy, Infrastructure, and Resources
- Financial Services
- IP Disputes and Litigation (including 337 proceedings)
- IP Procurement and Portfolio Management
- Investigations, Enforcement and White Collar: Anti-bribery and Anti-corruption
- Investment Management, Hedge Funds, and Alternative Investments
- Labor, Employment, and Workplace Safety
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution (domestic and international arbitration and mediation)
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Policy and Regulatory
- Privacy, Data Protection, and Information Management
- Real Estate
- Telecom, Media, and Technology
- The 2021 Chambers Asia-Pacific and Global Guides recognized the firm among leaders in China in the area of Corporate/M&A.
- The 2021 Legal 500 Asia Pacific Guide recognized the firm among leaders in China in the areas of Corporate/M&A and Intellectual Property.
- Three lawyers from the Shanghai office have been named among the 2020 Best Lawyers in China©.