Strategically located in one of the world’s premier financial centers, the Singapore office, operating as K&L Gates Straits Law LLC, is the gateway to the firm’s presence in Southeast Asia, where we assist clients with commercial and legal service needs across local and regional markets, spanning Singapore, Cambodia, India, Indonesia, Brunei, Laos, Papua New Guinea, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Thailand, and Vietnam.
We are one of the few international law firms in Singapore that can advise clients on local and international law, handling both contentious and non-contentious work for clients in Singapore and throughout Southeast Asia. Our clients include domestic and foreign public and private companies of all sizes, as well as funds, governments, and government-linked companies that operate across all sectors of the market, including aviation, construction, infrastructure, health care, sustainable energy and resources, banking and finance, oil and gas, and telecommunications and media.
Our Singapore-based lawyers have trained and worked in a variety of jurisdictions in addition to Singapore, including the United States, United Kingdom, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, India, and Australia. Although English is our working language, many of our lawyers in Singapore are fluent in Thai, Bahasa Indonesia, Hindi, Malay, French, Tamil and Chinese (Mandarin and Cantonese).
Our collective capabilities cover the full-range of Singapore law practice areas, with strong litigation and Indian practice groups. We share the distinctive approach and ethos of K&L Gates – to leverage local insights and expertise, deliver international best practices, and draw on knowledge, resources, and contacts from numerous offices across our global platform which spans five continents. Our lawyers have decades of experience working on local matters pertaining to Singapore law, as well as complex cross-border matters. More crucially, they understand the intricacies and nuances of how businesses operate in Singapore and across Southeast Asia. Their capabilities are further supported and enhanced by our strong presence in Asia, which includes approximately 400 lawyers working across major Asia-Pacific commercial hubs (Beijing, Brisbane, Hong Kong, Melbourne, Perth, Seoul, Shanghai, Sydney, Taipei, and Tokyo).
- Banking and Finance
- Energy, Infrastructure, and Resources
- Investigations, Enforcement, and White Collar
- Investment Management, Hedge Funds and Alternative Investments
- Labor, Employment, and Workplace Safety
- Litigation, Dispute Resolution (domestic and international arbitration and mediation)
- Policy and Regulatory
We also regularly provide local and cross-border legal advice across other areas, including capital markets and fundraising, compliance and corporate governance, mergers and acquisitions, fintech, health care, public law and investment disputes, real estate, restructuring and insolvency, shipping and maritime, and tort.
- The 2021 Chambers Asia-Pacific and Global Guides recognized the firm among leaders in Singapore in the areas of Dispute Resolution: Arbitration and Litigation; in Indonesia and Malaysia in the area of Corporate & Finance (International Firms); and in the Asia-Pacific region and globally in the area of Aviation: Finance.
- The 2021 Chambers Asia-Pacific Guide recognized the firm among leaders in Singapore in the area of Employment.
- The 2021 Legal 500 Asia Pacific Guide recognized the firm among leaders in Singapore in the areas of Asset Finance, Banking and Finance, Dispute Resolution, Energy, International Arbitration, Labor and Employment, Projects and White Collar Crime, and as leaders in Indonesia and Malaysia in the area Foreign Firms.
- The 2021 IFLR100 Asia-Pacific Guide recognized the firm among leaders in Singapore in the areas of Banking and finance, Capital markets (debt and equity), M&A, Project development, and Restructuring and insolvency.