Steven Pine is a partner in the firm’s health care practice group. He concentrates his practice on the intersection of health law compliance and dispute resolution, primarily representing public and private academic medical centers, hospitals, and health systems. His areas of focus include certificate of need contested cases; governmental and nongovernmental payment and reimbursement; health privacy; HIPAA and Common Rule research compliance; clinically integrated network (CIN) formation; alternative payment models and value-based reimbursement; federal False Claims Act litigation; administrative reconsiderations, reviews and appeals (e.g., EMTALA QIO hearings, RAC appeals and hearings, UPIC/ZPIC appeals); and Affordable Care Act compliance.
Steven joined K&L Gates as a summer associate in 2011. Prior to attending law school, Steven was a commercial real estate broker with a regional land development company.
- Member of the North Carolina Society of Health Care Attorneys’ Board of Directors (Chair of Governance and Planning Committee)
- Member of the American Health Lawyers Association
- Member of the North Carolina Bar Association
- Member of the Wake County Bar Association
- “Compromise and Barter: Examining Privacy and Informed Consent for Research in the Age of Big Data,” Penn State Law Review Annual Symposium, copresented with David M. Parker, March 13, 2019.
- “The Affordable Care Act: Understanding Employer Coverage Requirements, and What to Watch for in 2014,” “Under the Wire” CLE, co-presented with Lynne Wakefield, February 6, 2014.
- "Changes Coming to Qualified Health Plans: A Review of Key Changes and Industry’s Response," American Health Law Association, 31 March 2022
- “Privacy and Informed Consent for Research in the Age of Big Data,” Penn State Law Review, Vol. 123: Iss. 3 (Spring 2019), by David M. Parker, Steven G. Pine, and Zachary W. Ernst.
- 340B Program Omnibus Guidance: Mega-Changes on the Horizon?, American Health Lawyers Association Rap Sheet, November 2015
- Preparing for Successful Medicare Shared Savings Program Enrollment, AHLA Connections, July 2015