Tara Hopkins is an associate in the firm's Washington, D.C. office. She is a member of the Government Contracts and Procurement Policy practice group. Tara provides “cradle to grave” counsel to government contractors of all sizes in the defense, information technology, construction and professional services industries.
She concentrates her practice on:
- Bid protests at the Government Accountability Office and Court of Federal Claims
- Corporate ethics and compliance
- Internal investigations, mandatory disclosures, and False Claims Act defense
- Transactional due diligence
- Domestic preference (“Buy American”) compliance
- Non-traditional government contracts programs such as the Small Business Innovation Research (“SBIR”) and Defense Innovation Unit programs
- Federal contracting requirements and subcontractor flowdowns
- Agency and subcontractor disputes and modifications, including practice before the Boards of Contract Appeals
Tara also assists clients with issues in the export controls and trade sanctions practice, focusing on enforcement actions and audit issues relating to defense trade, financial transfers and non-government organizations working in areas affected by U.S. sanctions.
Prior to joining the firm, Tara served as a government contracts associate at a Washington, D.C. law firm where she represented clients in various bid protest litigation matters, contracts and grants compliance, government audits and fraud investigations, and other procurement related disputes and claims. She recently successfully represented a client as the intervener in the U.S. Court of Federal Claims bid protest of the award of Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) detention center staffing contracts. Tara also prosecuted and defended bid protest actions at the Government Accountability Office for contracts awarded by the Department of Defense, Department of Energy, ICE, Army, Navy, and Air Force. In addition, Tara negotiated teaming agreements, joint ventures, and subcontracts for clients, as well as drafted and negotiated Requests for Equitable Adjustment and claims before various Agencies and at the Armed Services Board of Contract Appeals. Tara also has experience in mergers and acquisitions in regards to entities with government contracts, including Federal Acquisition Regulation and Defense Federal Acquisition Regulation compliance, and Small Business Administration size certifications, due diligence, and drafting disclosure agreements.
- American Bar Association, Public Contract Law Section
- American Bar Association, Public Contract Law Section, Bid Protest Committee
- American Bar Association, Public Contract Law Section, Young Lawyer Committee
- Moot Court Activities, including regularly serving as a Judge or otherwise volunteering with the National Appellate Advocacy Competition (NAAC) and the Philip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition (Jessup)