Timothy Pierce’s practice almost exclusively involves legal matters in the construction industry. He works with construction industry clients from the inception of a project and the formation of contracts to the resolution of claims in litigation. Based on his 30 years of experience working with the construction industry, Timothy looks for unique solutions to construction disputes to achieve solutions that are efficient and cost effective for his clients. Timothy was recently recognized by the Los Angeles Business Journal as one of the Top 50 Litigators in Los Angeles in 2018 and 2019. An experienced litigator, Timothy has had extensive trial experience in construction matters, having tried over 15 cases to juries totaling approximately 90 weeks in front of juries. In 2005, Timothy obtained a $37 million judgment on behalf of a contractor on a power plant project after a ten week jury trial. The judgment was one of the top ten California jury trial verdicts in 2005. In 2006, Timothy successfully defended a contractor in a false claims case by the City of Los Angeles in which a unanimous jury found in favor of his client. The client also recovered its attorneys’ fees under the California False Claims Act. In 2017, Timothy led a trial team that obtained a jury verdict in excess of $30M and the case ultimately settled for more than the verdict amount. His construction experience includes prosecuting and defending construction contract, construction defect and design defect claims on behalf of owners, contractors and design professionals on both private and public projects. Timothy also has assisted contractors with bid protests and MBE and DBE matters.
In addition to his construction law practice, Timothy also focuses on insurance and risk management issues in the construction industry, with an emphasis on representing insureds to maximize coverage for construction claims. He also has substantial experience in the defense of ADA Title III public access claims and was trial counsel in one of the few Title III cases to go to trial in California. Timothy was named a Southern California “Super Lawyer” by Los Angeles Magazine in 2006 and 2008-2020. K&L Gates' Construction Law practice was ranked Tier 1 in both the National and Los Angeles categories of the U.S. News & World Report-Best Lawyers survey.
Timothy is also the managing partner of the K&L Gates Los Angeles office.
Before joining K&L Gates, Timothy was a partner in the Los Angeles office of an international law firm.
- American Bar Association
- Association of General Contractors of California - Insurance and Bond Committee
- California Bar Association
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America, 2008
Timothy speaks regularly on construction and construction risk management issues, including presentations at conferences and seminars by International Risk Management Institute (IRMI), The Seminar Group, Lorman, California Bar CEB and the Construction Super Conference. Representative speaking engagements include:
- “Construction Delay Claims: Proving and Defending Damages,” webinar presented by Strafford (2011).
- “Not All Construction Damage Recoveries Are Created Equal,” presented at the 25th Annual SuperConference, San Francisco, CA (2010).
- “The Effective Expert Witness: What Compels an Arbitrator, Judge and/or Jury?” presented at the Construction SuperConference, San Francisco, CA (2007).
Timothy has published articles in various publications on construction law matters, including “Contractual Indemnity Clauses in Construction Contracts,” coauthored with Raymond Michael Viayra, Jr. and "Punitive Damages," coauthored with Victor Abraham Delnore.
- Timothy Pierce has also authored several chapters in construction publications:
- “Forms of Dispute Resolution, Their Costs, and Their Benefits” in Contract Dispute Resolution ( 2014 ed.), published by Aspatore Books.
- “Insurance and Indemnity” in California Construction Contracts and Disputes (3rd ed.), published by California Continuing Education of the Bar.
- “The False Claims Act in Today’s Construction Industry” in Construction Law Update (2008 ed.), published by Wolters Kluwer.