K&L Gates established the Tokyo office in 2010 to provide full-service Japanese legal services, in addition to cross-border transactional advice to our domestic and international clients.
Lawyers in our Tokyo office are well-versed in advising on domestic and international deals, disputes, and complex regulatory matters. They have trained and qualified in a variety of jurisdictions in addition to Japan, including the United States, England and Germany. They are also fluent in English and Japanese, as all Tokyo-based lawyers are either Japanese nationals or long-standing local residents. Working closely with lawyers in Asia and through our firm’s integrated global network, our Tokyo office is able to provide robust coverage and a coordinated approach to:
- advising domestic and international companies on cross-border deals, foreign direct investment in Japan and overseas, aircraft and shipping finance and other international finance matters, cross-border mergers and acquisitions and joint ventures, real estate acquisitions, and finance, as well as on Japanese regulatory matters, including financial services (Japan’s Financial Instruments and Exchange Law), renewable energy, pharmaceutical, and health care; and
- advising clients on complex disputes in Japanese courts, including complex commercial and employment disputes, as well as with mediation and domestic and international arbitration.
We have comprehensive industry experience, having worked with clients operating across the energy, trading, technology, and transportation sectors. We also regularly instruct export credit agencies, multilateral banks, commercial banks, international private equity firms, securities companies, and other financial institutions. Our particular strengths include aircraft and equipment leasing, equipment finance, project finance, oil and gas upstream projects, sovereign lending, licensing and distribution arrangements, real estate finance, and high-tech ventures.
- Banking and asset finance
- Corporate/Mergers and acquisitions
- Financial services
- Health care
- Intellectual property
- Labor, employment, and workplace safety
- Litigation and dispute resolution (domestic and international arbitration and mediation)
- Policy and regulatory
- Project finance
- Real estate
- Restructuring and insolvency
- The firm was ranked among leaders in Japan in the areas of Banking & Finance, Dispute Resolution, and Labor and Employment in the 2020 Asia-Pacific Legal 500 guide.