The firm established the Tokyo office in 2010 to provide full-service Japanese legal services, in addition to cross-border transactional advice, to our domestic and multinational clients.
Lawyers and patent lawyers in our Tokyo office are well-versed in advising on domestic and international deals, disputes, and complex regulatory matters. They have trained and qualified in a variety of jurisdictions in addition to Japan, including the United States, England, and Germany. They are also fluent in English and Japanese, as all Tokyo-based lawyers are either Japanese nationals or long-standing local residents. Working closely with lawyers in Asia and through our firm’s integrated global network, lawyers in our Tokyo office seamlessly advise domestic and multinational companies on:
- Cross-border deals, foreign direct investment in Japan and overseas, aircraft and shipping finance and other international finance matters, cross-border mergers and acquisitions and joint ventures, real estate acquisitions, and finance, as well as on Japanese regulatory matters, including financial services (Japan’s Financial Instruments and Exchange Law), renewable energy, pharmaceutical, and health care.
- Complex disputes being litigated in Japanese courts, including complex commercial and employment disputes, and with domestic and international arbitration and mediation.
- Japanese and international intellectual property (patent and trademark) prosecution matters.
We have comprehensive industry experience, having worked with clients operating across the energy, trading, technology, and transportation sectors. We also regularly instruct export credit agencies, multilateral banks, commercial banks, international private equity firms, securities companies, and other financial institutions. Our strengths include aircraft and equipment leasing, equipment finance, project finance, oil and gas upstream projects, sovereign lending, licensing and distribution arrangements, real estate finance, and high-tech ventures.
- Banking and Asset Finance
- Financial Services
- Health Care
- Intellectual Property (including Japanese patents and trademarks)
- Labor, Employment, and Workplace safety
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution (domestic and international arbitration and mediation)
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Policy and Regulatory
- Project Finance
- Real Estate
- Restructuring and Insolvency
- The 2021 Chambers Asia-Pacific and Global Guides recognized the firm among leaders in Japan in the areas of Banking & Finance, and in the Asia-Pacific region and globally in the area of Aviation: Finance.
- The 2021 Legal 500 Asia Pacific Guide recognized the firm among the leaders in Japan in the areas of Banking and Finance, Corporate/M&A, Dispute Resolution and Employment.
- The 2021 IFLR1000 Asia-Pacific Guide recognized the firm among the leaders in Japan in the area of Banking (Foreign).
- Nine lawyers from the Tokyo office have been named among the 2022 Best Lawyers in Japan©.