Venetia Bennett is an experienced litigator who acts for international and Australian clients in the resolution of commercial disputes, claims and litigation matters across a range of industries, with a focus on construction, oil and gas and sport. She advises and represents clients in relation to contractual disputes, construction and project issues, tortious matters, regulatory inquiries, investigations and prosecutions, and joint venture disputes.
Venetia is experienced in advising and acting for clients in relation to all aspects of dispute resolution, including the formal stages of legal proceedings (court and arbitration) as well as informal dispute resolution processes such as mediation and expert determination. She has a strong record in advising clients during significant incidents and crises, including in relation to any legal proceedings that follow.
Venetia combines excellent technical skills, strong problem-solving capabilities and commercial, strategic thinking with a passion for what she does and the industries in which she practices. Her focus is to provide responsive and commercial advice, and she enjoys building relationships with clients in the course of doing so.
Prior to joining the firm in early 2013, Venetia was a lawyer and senior associate at a large Australian national law firm.
- Best Lawyers in Australia, listed in Litigation (2022)
- Winner, Women's Achievement Awards, 2020
- Finalist, Lawyers Weekly Women in Law Awards for Special Counsel of the Year, 2017
- Finalist, Women's Achievement Awards, 2010
- Australian and New Zealand Sports Law Association (ANZSLA) (President 2012 - 2018, Secretary 2009 - 2012)
- Australian Institute of Company Directors
- Football West Tribunal Chair
- "Sports Law: Current issues in anti-doping" presented as a guest lecturer at Edith Cowan University, Perth, 2013-2016, 2018, 2019
- "Royal Commissions: Ethical challenges" presented on various occasions in 2018 and 2019
- "Legal Professional Privilege" presented on various occasions between 2013 and 2017
- "Development of sports law in Australia" presented at the Melbourne University Law Masters Sports Law 25th Anniversary Conference, Melbourne, July 11 and 12, 2013
- "Conducting effective tribunals" presented at the Western Australian Department of Sport and Recreation, Perth, September 7, 2012
- "Are you prepared for a crisis?" presented for Australian Corporate Counsel (ACC), Perth, August 14, 2012