William Hyatt is a partner in the Newark, New Jersey office of K&L Gates, concentrating in environmental law and related litigation. He has extensive Superfund experience and has frequently acted as common or shared counsel representing groups of parties before the Environmental Protection Agency and counterpart state regulatory agencies, and in cost recovery and contribution litigation. In addition to taking leadership roles on behalf of private parties at many of the most significant Superfund sites, including three of the top sites listed on the NPL, he was also selected as a pilot allocator in EPA’s Superfund administrative reforms and has acted as a special master and mediator.
He has negotiated landmark settlements with EPA and the Department of Justice and has mediated complex allocation disputes both as a special master and as a mediator. He practices in all the environmental media and has also specialized in products liability, building construction, environmental insurance coverage and toxic tort litigation.
William is included in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers to Business and Euromoney's Guide to the World's Leading Environmental Lawyers. He has also been listed in Best Lawyers in America in the areas of Environmental Law and Litigation since 1989 and was named 2013 Lawyer of the Year for Newark Litigation-Environmental Law. In addition, William has received the Martindale-Hubbell AV preeminent peer review rating for the highest level of professional excellence for over thirty years.
William has served as the leader of groups of companies at some of the most important Superfund sites in the country. He has been instrumental in developing innovative case management techniques for multi-party cases and has successfully negotiated consent decrees and other settlements with the federal and state governments containing precedent setting provisions. He has served as common, shared and individual counsel at more than 25 Superfund sites in New Jersey and at Superfund sites in 10 other states. He has also served as national coordinating counsel in the defense of product liability claims and has prosecuted and defended complex building construction, chemical plant design and machinery and equipment failure claims.
- American Bar Association (Sections on Natural Resources and Energy and Environmental Law and Administrative Law)
- American College of Environmental Lawyers (Fellow)
- Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- Environmental Law Institute (Former Director)
- Federal Bar Council
- Lawdragon 3000 (Member)
- New Jersey State Bar Association (Environmental Law Section)
- Sustainable Remediation Forum (Member)
- Lecturer on legal problems associated with Superfund, natural resource damages and hazardous waste problems to Practising Law Institute, ALI/ABA, Environmental Law Institute, Institute for Continuing Legal Education, Information Network for Superfund Settlements, Environmental Section, New Jersey State Bar Association, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, Westchester-Fairfield Corporate Counsel Association.
- Panelist, Federal Judicial Center Environmental Law Program, Case Management of Complex Superfund Litigation, Lewis & Clark Law School, Portland, Oregon.
- Lecturer, Pace University School of Law, Graduate Environmental Law Program
- Semi-Final Judge, National Environmental Moot Court Competition