Yasho Lahiri represents sponsors of, and institutional investors in, private investment funds.
Yasho has helped sponsors launch a broad range of investment funds with investors within the United States and throughout the world. His sponsor work includes traditional private equity, credit, venture capital, infrastructure, hedge funds, and cryptocurrency and other virtual asset funds. In addition, he has represented sponsors of cutting-edge products such as the first private fund established to own "names" in the Lloyds of London insurance market and the first investment vehicle to allow US retail investors to participate in returns from the price of carbon credits. Yasho’s sponsor clients have ranged from promising start-ups to industry-leading firms managing tens or even hundreds of billions of dollars.
Yasho also represents institutional investors in establishing and managing their relationships with the sponsors of alternative investment products. His investor-side clients have included sovereign wealth funds, state pension funds, insurance companies, reinsurers, US and non-US financial institutions, US and non-US family offices and corporate pension plans. Yasho believes that the insights he has gained on the sponsor side provide value to his investor-side clients, and vice versa.
Yasho’s work is also informed by his service as the first general counsel and chief compliance officer of a hedge fund sponsor whose assets under management grew from $1.8 billion to over $5 billion during his tenure. This experience reinforced Yasho’s focus on providing practical, actionable, efficient, value-added advice to clients.
Yasho advises fund managers on the entire range of business issues throughout their life cycles, including seed capital arrangements, employment and partnership arrangements with key members of investment and operational teams, the acquisition of new investment strategies, joint ventures and distribution arrangements, and exits through sales to strategic and financial buyers.
Prior to joining the firm, Yasho served as a partner at an international law firm where he focused his practice on sponsoring an array of investment funds, including traditional private equity, credit, venture capital, and hedge funds.
- "Attraction of Using Insurance Dedicated Funds in Season‑and‑Sell Private Credit Structures and As 'Evergreen' PE Vehicles," Private Equity Law Report, 19 July 2022.
- Co-author of Chapter 5, “Investment Company Act and Advisers Act Considerations for Venture Capital Funds,” in Venture Capital & Public Offering Negotiation, Published by Wolters Kluwer, April 2022
- “Virtual Wine in Clay Amphoras: The SEC’s Approach to the Regulation of Investment Funds of Digital Assets,” The Investment Lawyer, March 2022
- "Breaking Up Is Hard to Do, So Let’s Stay Together: An Analysis of Issues in Continuation Fund," The Investment Lawyer, November 2021
- "Overview of How Insurance Dedicated Funds Offer the Returns of Private Funds With the Favorable Tax Treatment of Insurance Products," Private Equity Law Report, 27 July 2021
- Mentioned, "Goal Investment Management’s Launch of Investment Fund," Global Legal Chronicle, 25 May 2022
- Quoted, "How managers can strike the right balance with continuation funds," Private Equity Manager, 1 April 2022