Zac Kerr is a partner in the Melbourne office and advises on projects and infrastructure transactions globally, particularly in Australia and Asia. He has a particular knowledge of the transport, power, water and social infrastructure / public–private partnership (PPP) sectors, including greenfield contracting, financing and secondary markets.
Zac has advised on every privately owned toll road in Australia (together with a number of international road projects). He has also advised on the majority of the PPPs undertaken in Australia to date (together with a number of offshore PPPs). He is also experienced in advising clients lending to or buying and selling stakes in these assets.
He has advised on large and complex infrastructure procurement projects. He has drafted and negotiated project agreements, construction, operation and maintenance agreements, feedstock, offtake, tolling and other revenue agreements and ancillary project documentation.
Zac also has extensive experience advising on the sale and purchase of infrastructure assets and non-recourse or limited recourse project finance documentation.
His clients include sponsors, financiers and contractors on PPPs, toll roads, power stations, renewable projects, transmission and distribution assets, rail, ports, airports, telecommunication and industrial projects in Australia, New Zealand, developing and developed Asia, UK and Europe and the United States.
- Best Lawyers in Australia, listed in Construction and Infrastructure Law (2020-present)
- Best Lawyers in Australia, listed in Energy Law (2021-present)
- Legal 500 Asia Pacific, Project Development - Australia, recognised lawyer, 2019
- Listed in Doyle's Guide for Leading Construction and Infrastructure Lawyers, 2019
- Law Institute of Victoria member
- International Project Finance Association member
- Lance Corporal, Australian Army, 6 RAR, 5/6 RVR, 1995 – 2000
Zac regularly speaks at conferences and conducts client workshops. Examples of recent speaking engagements include:
- client PPP risk allocation workshops in 2017 and 2018
- chairing the International Project Finance Association 2018 Victorian Government Update, hosting Victorian Treasurer, moderating expert panel
- chairing the International Project Finance Association 2017: Renewable Energy Projects Negotiation Workshop
- chairing the Mills Oakley 2017 Renewable Energy Roundtable
- presenting at the Victorian Transport Infrastructure Conference 2017 on 'Infrastructure priorities and risk allocation'
- presenting at the Victorian Major Projects Conference 2016 on 'Key issues in infrastructure risk allocation'
- presenting at the WA Infrastructure Conference, African Transport Conference, Victorian Transport Infrastructure Conference, Australian Water Summit and other events on relevant infrastructure topics in 2013-2015.
- Co-edited the Thomson Reuters 2017 practical guide for 'Project Finance in Australia'.