Brian Forbes is a partner in the financial institutions and services litigation group at K&L Gates. Based in the firm’s Boston office, Brian regularly represents banking, mortgage lending and consumer financial services institutions in consumer class actions and individual litigation matters in federal and state courts throughout the United States. These actions typically concern challenges under federal statutes, including the federal Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act, the Truth in Lending Act, the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, the Equal Credit Opportunity Act, the Fair Credit Reporting Act, and the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act, as well as state unfair and deceptive acts and practices statutes, and common law claims. Brian also has extensive experience in complex commercial litigation, including trials and appellate advocacy.
Brian has written and spoken extensively on financial services litigation and class actions and he is a co-author of multiple chapters in the treatise Defense of Class Action Litigation in Federal Court (Bloomberg Law 2018). Prior to joining K&L Gates, Brian served as Law Clerk to the Honorable Judith Gail Dein, United States District Court, District of Massachusetts, 2000-2001, and as Law Clerk to the Justices of the Superior Court of Massachusetts, 1999-2000.
Prior to joining K&L Gates, Brian served as Law Clerk to the Honorable Judith Gail Dein, United States District Court, District of Massachusetts, 2000-2001, and as Law Clerk to the Justices of the Superior Court of Massachusetts, 1999-2000.
- Mortgage Bankers Association
- Boston Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Panelist, FinTech and Consumer Finance: Analyzing the Latest Innovations, Compliance Challenges of the Bank Partner Model and OCC FinTech Charter, and the Rise of “True Lender” Litigation, American Conference Institute’s 31st National Forum on Consumer Finance Class Actions and Government Enforcement; Chicago, July 2019
- Speaker, 2018 Consumer Financial Services Symposium, December 2018.
- Impact of Regulatory Actions on Private Litigation; Consumer Financial Services Litigation Hot Topics 2017, Consumer Financial Services Symposium by David E. Fialkow, Stavroula E. Lambrakopoulos, Brian M. Forbes, Gregory N. Blase, Nagle, Jennifer J
- The Mortgage Lifecycle: Litigation Hotspots From Origination Through Foreclosure, Powerpoint Webinar Presentation, by Irene C. Freidel, Brian M. Forbes, Robert W. Sparkes, III, and Jennifer Janeira Nagle, February 24, 2016
- Panelist, Anatomy of a Class Action Trial, The Boston Bar Association, October 6, 2015
- Just Trying to Help: Application of Federal and State Debt Collection Laws in the Workout and Modification Process, Powerpoint Webinar Presentation, by Steven M. Kaplan, Jonathan D. Jaffe, Brian M. Forbes, and David A. Tallman, February 2010
- Finding New Ways to Motivate Them: Debt Collection Laws and Alternative Communication Strategies, Webinar Powerpoint Presentation, by David L. Beam, Brian M. Forbes, Nanci L. Weissgold, and David G. McDonough, Jr. March 2010