Christopher Tillson is a high energy, results-driven corporate lawyer passionate about creating opportunity while simultaneously managing risk, problem-solving, and protecting business reputation, specializing in complex commercial transactions, strategic business transactions, corporate finance transactions, M&A, and corporate governance. He is experienced in the area of international and domestic commercial transactions, advising companies with respect to the documentation and negotiation of the purchase and sale of products and services throughout all stages of the global supply chain. Christopher is also works in the area of global contract management for some of K&L Gates’ largest corporate clients, having directed client teams of over 200 attorneys and allied professionals across the Firm’s worldwide platform with respect to the drafting and deployment of contract templates and playbooks and the management of contract review processes. With a clear understanding of critical business imperatives, he is committed to providing actionable legal advice to corporate leadership, managers, and investors in a business-enabling manner that simultaneously limits risk.
Christopher's experience is vast in scope, having represented companies at all stages of growth, from startup to multinational Fortune 500 companies with global operations, and including numerous sectors of the global economy, including technology, manufacturing and distribution, consumer goods and services, renewable energy, financial and other professional services, cryptocurrency, Fintech, aerospace, and telecommunications. Many of his corporate clients are active participants in the global supply chain, from manufacturers and suppliers, to distributors, service providers, and direct retailers.
Christopher has negotiated and documented transactions in over 50 countries throughout the regions of Latin America, Asia Pacific, Europe, the Middle East, and Africa. In addition to representing corporates on a wide range of issues, Christopher also counsels high net worth individuals and family offices as they acquire and accumulate assets, manage their businesses and investments, and seek to preserve and protect their wealth. He has particular expertise in the region of Latin America, having lived and studied in the region, and having worked throughout the region for most of his career. His Latin America experience ranges from maquiladoras in Mexico, to solar projects in Chile, multi-latina distribution channels from Mexico to the Caribbean to the Southern Cone, and M&A and corporate finance transactions involving almost every country in the region.
Christopher drafts and negotiates in fluent Spanish and is also proficient in Portuguese, a strategic advantage which, when combined with his cultural knowledge and experience, positions him well to advise on both the inbound and outbound sides of transactions and investments involving Latin America and the United States.
Christopher has been with K&L Gates since 2005 and was promoted to partner in 2012.
- Member of Latin America practice group recognized by Chambers and Partners, Corporate/M&A: Latin America-wide
- Corporate Law Lawyer of the Year in Florida - 2022, Corporate INTL
- 2021 Corporate Law Expert of the Year in Florida, Global Law Experts
- America’s Most Honored Lawyers 2021
- Top Rated Lawyers in Florida 2021
- Lawyers of Distinction 2021, 2020
- Top 100 Attorneys, 2021, 2020
- Certified in Legal Project Management by LawVision’s LPM Institute, 2019
- 2012 Honoree, 40 Under 40 Outstanding Lawyers of Miami-Dade County, benefitting the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
- Florida SuperLawyer Rising Star 2009
- UCLA Bruins of South Florida, Founder
- Ex-Alumnos de la Ibero en Miami, Co-Founder (Universidad Iberoamericana)
- Bolivian-American Chamber of Commerce, Chair, Miami Chapter
- Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce
- South Florida Manufacturers Association
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Miami
- Fundación Manos del Sur (supporting at-risk children in South America)
- Georgetown University Alumni Club of Miami
- Venezuelan-American / U.S.-Mexico / Brazilian-American / U.S.-Chile Chambers of Commerce
- Frequent lecturer and presenter to legal departments and executive leadership of corporations on the subjects of contract management and commercial transactions throughout the global supply chain.
- Interviewed and quoted in “Mexico Has a New President: What Does that Mean for Latin American-Focused Lawyers?” Daily Business Review, 4 January 2019.
- “Board’s Lack of Independence from Interested Director Excuses Stockholder Demand as Futile,” K&L Gates Blogpost, 13 September 2018.
- Host, Smart Immigration Strategies for Latin American Investors, Miami, 28 June 2018.
- “In an Appraisal Action, Chancery Court Uses its ‘Significant Discretion’ to Determine that Stock Sold was Undervalued by Approximately 7%,” K&L Gates Blogpost, 8 August 2016.
- Chairperson, Mexican International Renewable Energy Congress (MIREC), Mexico City, 28-29 May 2014, providing opening remarks to conference attendees, introducing conference’s keynote speaker, Senator David Penchyna Grub, Director of the Energy Commission of Mexico, and moderating a panel on Renewable Projects for Private Off-Takers in Mexico.
- Host and Moderator, Bolivian Trade Missions 2009
- Host and Moderator, Bolivian Trade Mission 2009, co-sponsored by the Bolivian-American Chamber of Commerce, AeroSur, the Visit USA Committee and the U.S. Embassy in Bolivia.
- Host and Moderator, Bolivian Trade Missions 2009 & 2012, co-sponsored by the Bolivian-American Chamber of Commerce, the AmCham Bolivia, AeroSur, the Visit USA Committee, the U.S. Embassy in Bolivia, and the Chamber of Exporters of Santa Cruz, Bolivia (CADEX).
Quoted, “Mexico Has a New President: What Does that Mean for Latin American-Focused Lawyers?”, Daily Business Review, January 4, 2019
- Universidad Iberoamericana, Mexico City (1995)