Daniel Miller regularly counsels clients in matters involving complex records preservation and collection issues, litigation “holds,” e-discovery, and records management and retention policies as a member of firm's e-Discovery Analysis and Technology (e-DAT) Group. In particular, Daniel has provided guidance to clients ranging from small businesses to Fortune 500 companies regarding legal record retention requirements and considerations, best practices for records management and discovery response, data privacy and protection, and electronic discovery processes and preparation. He has spoken on records management and e-discovery issues at a number of presentations and web-based seminars. He has also published several articles and newsletters on e-discovery issues, and is a contributing author in the PBI Press book entitled “eDiscovery,” published most recently in February 2017. Daniel also is an adjunct professor who teaches a post-graduate course on e-discovery at Duquesne University in Pittsburgh.
Daniel's practice also focuses on counseling and litigation in the fields of antitrust and intellectual property rights, including domestic and international trademark, trade dress, and copyright matters.
Mr. Miller served as a judicial extern to the Honorable Irene M. Keeley, United States District Judge for the Northern District of West Virginia, in the summer of 2004.
- Co-Chair, Pittsburgh “Friends of E-Discovery” Group
- Member, Local Rules Advisory Committee for the Western District of Pennsylvania
- Mentor, United Way Sixth Grade Mentoring Program
- Secretary, The Strand Theatre Initiative Board of Directors
- Chair, Kappa Kappa Psi Alumni Association Board of Directors
- Panelist, “What Corporate Counsel Must Know About Cybersecurity,” at Cracking the Code: Cybersecurity for Tomorrow program hosted by K&L Gates in multiple US cities, November 10, 2016
- Panel Moderator, “Information Governance and Data Privacy: A World of Risk,” at 2016 Northeast eDiscovery and Information Governance retreat hosted by Ing3nious in Brewster, Massachusetts, September 26, 2016
- “Federal Rule Changes Affect e-Discovery - Are You Ready This Time?,” CLE presentation hosted by K&L Gates in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, December 3, 2015
- “Federal Rule Changes Affect e-Discovery Are Almost Here - Are You Ready This Time?,” CLE presentation hosted by K&L Gates in Dallas, Texas, November 5, 2015
- “Federal Rule Changes Affect e-Discovery Are Almost Here - Are You Ready This Time?,” CLE presentation hosted by K&L Gates in Chicago, Illinois, October 22, 2015
- “Federal Rule Changes Affect e-Discovery Are Almost Here - Are You Ready This Time?,” CLE presentation hosted by K&L Gates in Boston, Massachusetts, October 20, 2015
- “Discovery of Social Media: Legal and Practical Considerations,” online CLE presentation hosted by K&L Gates, July 16, 2015 (materials available at http://www.klgateshub.com/details/?media=9b59ff67-ffca-44dc-ad75-e9a08c5f32a7)
- Panelist, ““Use of eDiscovery Special Masters and eMediation,” eDiscovery symposium hosted by the Pennsylvania Bar Institute and the Allegheny County Bar Association, April 25, 2014
- “Cyber Threats, Forensics Investigation and Electronic Discovery,” CLE presentation hosted by K&L Gates in Seattle, Washington, May 8, 2012
- “Cyber Threats, Forensics Investigation and Electronic Discovery,” CLE presentation hosted by K&L Gates in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, September 13, 2011
- “E-Discovery: Strategies, Trends and Best Practices,” webinar presentation hosted by Ethisphere, June 10, 2010
- "Financial Record Retention Policies: Retention Through Destruction," webinar presentation hosted by National Constitution Center Audio Conferences, July 15, 2009
- "Record Retention For 2010: What Your Company Needs To Know," audio conference presentation hosted by Progressive Business Audio Conferences, September 22, 2009
- "E-Discovery Explorers," presentation at “E-Discovery” seminar hosted by the Pennsylvania Bar Institute in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, December 9, 2008
- "Scenes from an e-Discovery Case," presentation hosted by Integrator of New Systems in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, July 30, 2008
- Co-Author, eDiscovery, book published by BPI Press, September 2008 (fourth edition, February 2017)