Dan Nuñez Cohen is an associate in the firm's Washington, D.C. office, where he advises and advocates for digital asset companies, depository and non-depository institutions, money services businesses, and the cannabis industry on the intersection of financial services policy and compliance.
Moreover, Dan represents food companies in obtaining insurance coverage in complex, multiparty disputes involving product liability, product recalls, and supply chain issues. In this practice, he has assisted several companies in settlement negotiations and mediations with third parties and insurance carriers, helping these clients recover insurance proceeds.
Dan writes and speaks extensively on the digital assets and blockchain applications, financial services, and cannabis banking policy. His writings are often published on JD Supra. He also has been published in several legal journals, including the Virginia Law Review, the Dickinson Law Review, the Virginia Journal of Social Policy and the Law, the Energy Law Journal, the Banking Law Journal, and the Investment Lawyer.
Dan was a summer associate at K&L Gates in 2016. During law school, he interned for the Legal Aid Justice Center; the Office of the Attorney General of Virginia, Consumer Protection Section; and the United States Senate Banking Committee forSenator Sherrod Brown's staff.
- Women in Housing and Finance, Inc.
- Panelist, “Federal Legislative Cannabis Reform | Pathway towards Progress in the 117th”, International Cannabis Bar Association, 21 April 2021.
- Moderator, “WHF Public Policy Luncheon with Rebec Romero Rainey, President and CEO, Independent Community Bankers Association,” Women in Housing and Finance, Inc., 13 April 2021.
- Panelist, “Finally, the Killer Crypto App: Why Stabelcoins and CBDCs will Fundamentally Change the Payments Universe, Innovative Payments Association’s Day of Payments, 19 August 2020.
- Speaker, WHF/WHFF Partner Series Brown Bag Lunch: COVID-19’s Impact on Digital Currencies, Women in Housing and Finance, 7 May 2020.
- Panelist, “FELJ Author Talk: Energizing the Future with Blockchain”, Energy Bar Association, Washington D.C., 19 February 2019.
- Panelist, “Blockchain Basics for Energy Lawyers: Mastering Fundamentals and Keeping Pace with Emerging Use Cases”, American Bar Association Business Law Section Annual Meeting 2019
- 2018 Consumer Financial Services Symposium, December 2018
- “What Shifting Crypto Policy Means For Banks, Market Players,” Law360, 9 December 2021
- “Takeaways And Next Steps After FSOC's Climate Risk Report," Law360, 22 November 2021
- "In The Weeds: The States Reform Act of 2021, The Latest Comprehensive Cannabis Reform Bill," Cannabis Business Executive, 17 November 2021
- Iron-ing Out Circuit Splits: A Proposal for the Use of the Irons Procedure to Prevent and Resolve Circuit Splits Among United States Courts of Appeal, 108 Calif. L. Rev. 989 (2020)
- “Blockchain 101: The Basics Every Energy Lawyer Should Know,” Business Law Today, American Bar Association, 19 December 2019
- “Mortgage Lending to Nontraditional Borrowers: The Opportunities and Compliance Points of Mortgage Lending to DACA Recipients, Recent Immigrants, and Limited-English Proficiency Borrowers,” The Banking Law Journal, April 2019
- “Digital and Digitized Assets: Federal and State Jurisdictional Issues,” The American Bar Association, March 2019
- “Extra!! Extra!! Click All About it? Modernizing Public Notice Laws in a Digital Age,” Va. J. Soc. Pol'y & L. 1, (2019)
- “A Gun to Whose Head? Federalism, Localism and the Spending Clause,” 123 Dick. L. Rev. 421, 2019
- Making the Grade: Practical Tips to Meet Compliance Standards Track: How to Ace Your HMDA and Fair Lending Exams, Mortgage Bankers Association’s Regulatory Compliance Conference 2018, 2019 (contributor)
- Consumer Lending and Alternative Data: Opportunities, Risks, and Challenges, Mortgage Bankers Association’s Legal Issues and Regulatory Compliance Conference 2018, 2019 (contributor)
- “Artificial Intelligence Applications and regulatory Concerns in Consumer Financial Services,” Payment Systems and Electronic Fund Transfer Guide, Westlaw (Thomson Reuters), 2018
- “Cryptocurrency Exchange Traded Products: If, When, and How,” The Investment Lawyer, December 2018
- “Energizing the Future with Blockchain,” The Energy Bar Association, 14 November 2018
- Lending to Non-Traditional Borrowers: Immigrants, Foreign Investors, and Multigenerational Households, Mortgage Bankers Association’s Regulatory Compliance Conference 2018 (contributor)
- Fair Lending and Equal Opportunity Laws: The Fair Housing Act and the HUD Disparate Impact Rule, Mortgage Bankers Association’s Regulatory Compliance Conference 2018 (contributor)
- Note, Do Your Duty (!)(?): The Distribution of Power in the Appointments Clause, 103 VA. L. REV. 673 (2017).