Gina A. Johnson is a partner in the Chicago office. Gina is a part of the firm's Intellectual Property and Antitrust, Competition, and Trade Regulation groups. She focuses her practice on patent and antitrust litigation.
Gina's patent litigation matters include cases in district courts across the country and in the International Trade Commission, both supporting and in defense of charges of patent infringement. Her experience covers a variety of technologies, including software and medical instrumentation. She is admitted to the Bar of Illinois and the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois. Gina is experienced in many phases of litigation, including fact and expert discovery, dispositive motion practice, claim construction practice, trial preparation, trial, post-trial motions and hearings. She is also experienced with antitrust and trade secret law and has represented clients in matters involving the Defense Trade Secrets Act of 2016.
Gina's antitrust matters principally involve the Department of Justice and federal antitrust class actions. She also has experience in conducting internal investigations for major domestic corporations in response to Department of Justice investigations and subpoenas. In this role, she has participated in the preparation of investigation reports, the interviewing of senior executives, and the management of complex electronic-discovery collection, review, and production.
Gina was a summer associate at K&L Gates, where she worked in both patent litigation and commercial disputes. Gina attended the University of Illinois College of Law and graduated summa cum laude. She received CALI Excellence for the Future Awards in two classes: Federal Rules of Civil Procedure and Employment Discrimination and graduated with Honors in Legal Writing, Advocacy, and Legal Research. Gina was also the Admissions Editor of the University of Illinois Law Review, President of the Italian American Law Students Association, and a teaching assistant for three first year classes: Real Property, Legal Writing, and Advocacy. During her third year of law school, Gina studied in Barcelona, Spain, where she took classes on Public International Law, Spanish Law of Damages, and Catalonian Criminology.
Prior to her legal career, Gina attended the University of Illinois, where she graduated summa cum laude with a B.A. in English. At the University of Illinois, Gina was a James Scholar and member of the Pre-Law Honors Society. Gina was also the President of her sorority, Delta Delta Delta, where she led several philanthropic events dedicated to raising money for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.
- An article Gina coauthored, “Article III Standing In The Wake Of 2 Fed. Circ. Rulings,” was voted as one of the top 10 most read expert analyses according to Law360
- Chicago Bar Association’s Young Lawyers Section’s Lawyer Engagement and Development for Big Law Firms Committee, Vice Chair
- Women’s Bar Association, Judicial Reception Committee Member
- Justinian Society, Member
- Chicago Bar Association, Member
- Chicago Volunteer Legal Services, Guardian ad Litem for Minors
- Women in Intellectual Property, Member
- National Italian American Bar Association, Board Member
- “Trade Secret Protection for AI Inventions (Part 2),” startup-together.com, 2019
- “Trade Secret Protection for AI Inventions (Part 1),” startup-together.com, 2019
- “HR Professionals Beware: Antitrust Violations in the Employment Arena May Subject Employers and their HR Personnel to Criminal Prosecution,” Business Law Today, December 2016
- “Practical Implications from the Federal Circuit’s Rare en Banc Reversal in Apple v. Samsung,” IPFrontline, 12 October 2016
- Mentioned, "College of Law wraps up another successful Law Firm Challenge," Illinois College of Law, 23 February 2022