Ifigeneia Xanthopoulou is an associate in the firm's New York office. As a member of the maritime practice group, Ifigeneia represents vessel owners, operators, charterers, and insurers in all manner of domestic and international maritime disputes. Her diverse litigation practice includes vessel collisions and allisions, charter party disputes, carriage of goods, vessel arrests and attachments, maritime liens, and personal injuries.
Ifigeneia is an international lawyer with law degrees with honors from three jurisdictions. She holds an LL.M. in Admiralty from Tulane University Law School, where she served as a Maritime Law Fellow of the Tulane Maritime Law Center in 2015-2016. Prior to that, she earned an LL.M. in Commercial Law from the University of Cambridge (United Kingdom), and a Juris Doctor equivalent degree from the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki School of Law (Greece).
Prior to joining K&L Gates, Ifigeneia was an associate at a New Orleans-based firm that has been serving the international and domestic shipping communities since its earliest days in the 1820s. Moreover, following her studies, Ifigeneia clerked for the London office of another international law firm, as well as for a law office in her hometown, Thessaloniki, Greece.
Ifigeneia provides high-quality legal counsel, drawing from her extensive and diverse legal training and her experience working on a variety of maritime litigation disputes, including vessel collisions and allisions, personal injury and death cases, charter party and cargo disputes, as well as criminal maritime matters.
11 years of award-winning participation in English and Greek competitions, including:
- Best Oralist of the Greek National Rounds, Phillip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition, Washington, D.C., 2014
- Best Prosecutor, 6th ICLN International Criminal Court Trial Competition, The Hague, The Netherlands, 2013
- Best Oralist, 8th Pan-Hellenic Student Rhetoric Championship, Athens, Greece, 2009
- Maritime Law Association of the United States
- Young Lawyers Committee Liaison to the Arbitration and ADR Committee
- Women’s International Shipping & Trading Association (WISTA)
- Federal Bar Association
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- The North of England P&I Association, Newcastle, U.K.
- Residential Training Course in P&I Insurance and Loss Prevention; Certificate (With Distinction)
- The International Group of P&I Clubs
- P&I Qualification Module 1 (“The Shipping Business”),
- P&I Qualification Module 2 (“P&I Insurance: History, Operation & Practice”)
- P&I Qualification Module 3 (“Underwriting, Loss Prevention and Claims Handling”)
- Harold K. Watson, Ifigeneia Xanthopoulou, “Evolution & Unification of the Federal Admiralty Rules & Federal Rules of Civil Procedure,” Tulane Law Review, Vol. 92, Issue 5 (2018)
- Ifigeneia Xanthopoulou, “The O.W. Bankruptcy and the Resulting Legal Issues,” Tort Trial & Insurance Practice Law Journal, Vol. 52, Issue 1 (Fall 2016)