Martin von Albrecht is a partner at K&L Gates and member of the media and entertainment practice group. He has extensive experience in advising leading German and international clients on all aspects of copyright and media law in the areas of film, television, radio and online platforms.
He has special know-how in the field of licensing music rights for television stations, radio stations and online platforms via collecting societies. A further focus is consulting in connection with the distribution of content by means of retransmission and on demand (video-on-demand, music-on-demand). In addition, he also covers IT legal issues in this context.
He is recommended in the JUVE Handbook, Chambers Europe, Legal 500, Media Law International and Best Lawyers/Handelsblatt as a recognized practitioner in media law. In Chambers Europe 2019, he is named as an "excellent lawyer" in the first tier, who is "known for his expertise in media law."
Martin joined the firm in January 2007. Between 2002 and 2006 he was head of the media & entertainment industry group of another international law firm. Prior to this, he worked for nine years as a legal advisor for leading German film and television companies. Since 2015 he has been a specialist lawyer for information technology law.
- International Association of Entertainment Lawyers (IAEL)
- GRUR Society for Intellectual Property and Copyright Law
- Martin gives lectures on copyright issues.
- “Kabelweitersendung durch WEG bei gewerblicher Ferienvermietung“ (Forwarding in a WEG with partially rented apartments), Judgment note on Braunschweig higher regional court ruling of 17.04.2019, in: Zeitschrift für Urheber- und Medienrecht (ZUM) 10/2019, p. 775, together with Dr. Olaf Fiss
- v.Hartlieb/Schwarz: Handbuch des Film-, Fernseh- und Videorechts, 6.A., five chapters on collecting societies, published end 2019, together with Dr. Olaf Fiss
- Commentary on §§41-43 and §§128-131, in: Heine, Robert; Holzmüller, Tobias: Kommentar zum deutschen Verwertungsgesellschaftengesetz (Commentary on the German Collecting Societies Act), 1st edition, 2019, together with Dr. Olaf Fiss
- “Die Murphy-Entscheidung und ihre Auswirkungen auf Sport- und Filmlizenzen im Online-Bereich - Die exklusive territoriale Rechtevergabe ist kein Modell der Vergangenheit!“ (The Murphy decision and its impact on online sports and film licenses. - The exclusive territorial allocation of rights is not a model of the past!), in: Zeitschrift für Urheber- und Medienrecht (ZUM) 2/2012, p. 93 f., together with Dr. Annette Mutschler-Siebert and Dr. Tobias Bosch
- “GEMA-Tarifreform und angemessene Vergütung für Clubs” (GEMA tariff reform and appropriate remuneration for clubs), in: Kommunikation & Recht (K&R) 12/2012, p. 777 f., together with Olaf Fiss and Dr. Sophia Sepperer
- “Praxis der Rechtevergabe im Online-Bereich - Ein Beitrag aus der Sicht privater Sendeunternehmen“ (Practice of rights allocation in the online area - A contribution from the perspective of private broadcasting companies), in: Zeitschrift für Urheber- und Medienrecht (ZUM) 10/2011, p. 706 f.