Our Portland office is poised at the confluence of the Willamette and Columbia Rivers, a critical gateway for international trade and business with the Asia Pacific region.
For more than 25 years, it has provided services to leading national and international businesses in connection with their interests in the Pacific Northwest, as well as to regional companies expanding nationally or internationally.
No other firm in the Portland legal market can match our global reach on five continents. Our lawyers are leaders in antitrust, corporate/M&A, commercial transactions, emerging technology, energy, finance, food and agriculture, international, labor and employment, private equity, and real estate law. Our clients come from varied industries, including apparel, sports and entertainment, technology, manufacturing, maritime, and transportation and logistics.
The Portland transactional team represents clients in significant mergers and acquisitions, asset dispositions, restructuring, and private equity financings. We are the go-to law firm for a number of public and private companies for their corporate compliance and governance, international business legal and compliance issues, expansion, market entry, restructuring, and exits in the United States and globally. We represent middle market and large private and public companies on commercial transactions with customers, vendors, suppliers, and partners. We also represent many start-up and early stage emerging technology companies and work with these companies through the various stages of their financing activities.
Our lawyers counsel on sophisticated finance deals involving public and private equity offerings, project finance, senior and subordinated secured and unsecured debt transactions, and distressed company finance. For private equity, hedge fund, and venture capital clients, we advise on fund formation and investments, and provide portfolio company counsel. Additionally, we advise on complex real estate transactions, including acquisitions, dispositions, financing, leasing, tax advice, joint ventures, and workouts and restructurings of commercial real estate loans.
The Portland office includes a strong renewable energy and utilities practice, advising utilities, independent power producers, transmission companies, and renewable energy sector clients. We represent clients on siting and development, project financing, environmental compliance, transmission, and interconnection matters, as well as before the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission. Our team is experienced in emerging technologies and trends, including energy storage and corporate energy sourcing.
Our food and agribusiness practice advises clients throughout the food and agricultural supply chain, providing integrated mergers and acquisitions, real estate, land use, labor and employment, commercial contracts, litigation services, and restructurings.
Our litigators cover a spectrum of complex commercial disputes and government enforcement and investigations, including anti-trust, anti-money laundering and anti-corruption (including FCPA); bankruptcy; contracts, creditors’ rights; environment; insurance coverage; intellectual property; securities and transactions; shareholder disputes; taxation; trade secret/non-compete; and tort claims. Our litigation lawyers also have robust experience defending claims and investigations (including criminal) by the U.S. Department of Justice, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, Department of Revenue, and the Office of Inspector General in various industries including healthcare, financial services, and transportation and logistics. We have experience defending both the federal and Oregon False Claims Act as well as qui tam actions.
Additionally, our office includes a strong employment practice, handling advice and counseling, compliance, training, and litigation. Through our global platform, we also assist businesses that need global employment law advice.
Finally, we have a sophisticated private wealth and estate planning practice, with more than 25 years of experience in income and estate tax planning for high-net-worth individuals and the owners of closely held businesses.
- The Portland office is a 2020 “Liberty and Hope Award” recipient, from the League of Minority Voters (LMV), which annually recognizes community leaders effectively promoting liberty and hope across all regions the LMV serves, including the Portland and greater-Oregon communities. The office is the first-ever law firm to receive this award.
- The Portland office was named an honoree of the 2019 Daily Journal of Commerce “Building Diversity” awards. The awards celebrate firms, organizations, and people whose efforts shape the built environment through outstanding work, leadership, mentorships, community involvement, and the promotion of industry diversity.
- The office was named the “Most Diverse Law Firm” in the Portland metro area by the Portland Business Journal in 2017 and again in 2020.
- Two of our Portland partners were nominated for the inaugural “Changing Lawyer Award” at the 2018 International Legal Technology Association Annual Conference, recognizing and celebrating their unwavering commitment to client service and visionary approach to the disruption of the traditional legal practice.
- The Portland office is ranked a Tier 1 firm by U.S. News-Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” in the areas of Antitrust Law; Commercial Litigation; Energy Law; Energy Regulatory Law; Environmental Law; and Litigation - Antitrust.
- Four of our Portland partners are named among the 2020 Best Lawyers in America.